Laundry room vent to attic ?

Then where do the dryer exhaust gases go? Into the house? There is no separate exhaust vent, the gases must go out with the air through the one vent.

Reply to
trader_4

I still haven't heard an explanation as to why the laundry room gets so hot? None of mine ever have. And if it does get warm from use, which is what, few hours a week, is it such a big deal that it's worth all the trouble? You don't live in there, do you?

Reply to
trader_4

Yes

Reply to
gfretwell

The International Gas Code would

Reply to
gfretwell

I was wrong, Gas dryers do vent the product of combustion out the regular vent pipe. That surprises me. It actually blows flue gasses into the drum. Yikes!

Reply to
gfretwell

You're claiming that gas dryers do not vent combustion gases through the one dryer vent hose? Where is the other exhaust vent? I've had gas dryers, there is just one vent outside, just like an electric dryer.

Reply to
trader_4

So what? It doesn't bother me. What about gas ranges and ovens? They vent into the living space. They even have portable kerosene heaters that do that. That I find a bit odd, but apparently it's safe enough.

Reply to
trader_4

Then they have inadequate inspectors in NY. It's your condo, do as you please. Check to determine if the association agrees.

Reply to
Hawk

I agree. I'd also bet that passing inspection just means that a home inspector for the buyer didn't *flag* it. That doesn't mean that he was even aware of it. I'd bet most home inspectors don't go checking where each bath fan vents. Sometimes it could be covered up with insulation too.

Reply to
trader_4

I stand corrected.

All the more reason not to screw with exhaust gases in living spaces (or areas that connect to living spaces).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

These vent into the drum and out the vent pipe. It is required to run these in metal with the preferred method being smooth "stove pipe" but I am sure plenty are vented with vinyl or even PVC. I also bet nobody pays any attention to maximum lengths, vent hood styles and how bends affect the effective length.

I have never had a gas dryer but the more I read about them the more it sounds like they just start a fire, blow air across it and exhaust through the drum (No real heat exchanger at all). Again Yikes! I hope you have plenty of makeup air.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nope. Never seen one that does, anyway.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I've never seen one that does.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Most "home inspectors" are clueless and half blind.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On 2/23/2020 2:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Well, in the most basic, yes, but they have a combustion chamber and air is blown over/around it, not just directly onto the flame.

As for makeup air, a clothes dryer is in the 20-25 kBtu/hr while an old

50% natural draft furnace would typically be 100-150 kBtu/hr so it's only a fourth or so of the combustion air required.

In looking, I was surprised to learn the tumble dryer as we know it is really relatively recent -- it appears the first economical design didn't become commercial until 1938; I'd've thunk would have been at least 20 year before that.

But, they've been around now long enough there's ample evidence there's no significant health consequences in design as are; did find that CPSC did study in 1990s-2000 range that said in 1996 that were 15,000 dryer-related fires. But, also noted that there were an average of some

3-4 million electric and another 1-1.3 million gas units sold/year and an estimate of about 73 million dryers in use. So, 15,500/73,000,000 isn't a terribly high failure rate.

Did note that of a small sample (79 incidents total) investigated that about half the fires were either in the ducting or the lint trap w/ no real pattern of any of the rest. Of those, about 50:50 whether the owner would fess up as to that didn't regularly clean the trap/inspect the ducting.

Numbers were somewhat higher of ~2:1 gas vs electric where there was fire for the type of dryer reported (70 of the 79; 9 unknown type). Didn't report on the 15,000 incidents by type.

Reply to
dpb

Same here. License not required to be a home inspector in my state. Unbelievable. I could make business cards, start advertising and probably make decent money doing it, if only I didn't care about my reputation.

Reply to
Hawk

Not unless it's some brand new requirement been added, no.

They just exhaust through the drum outlet same as electrics...

Reply to
dpb

Dunno, I haven't had one since I was 10 years old, and it was spooky back there behind it.

Reply to
micky

Internet Relay Chat?

Reply to
micky

My mother hired a blind painter once, to paint the inside. He was cheaper and he did a good job, but was always gone before I got home, so I don't know how blind he was.

She removed and replaced all the plates and knobs herself, to save money

Reply to
micky