latex spray unit

looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

Reply to
Paul Oman

Yes... One driven by an actual air compressor... Which is an actual paint sprayer... Not one of those hand-held paint pumpers with a power cord and paint reservoir...

If you don't want to buy one of your own they are available to be rented while you need them for a project...

How thick is the latex paint ?

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Yes... One driven by an actual air compressor... Which is an actual paint sprayer... Not one of those hand-held paint pumpers with a power cord and paint reservoir...

If you don't want to buy one of your own they are available to be rented while you need them for a project...

How thick is the latex paint ?

~~ Evan

The Magnum (made by Graco) airless sprayers at Home Depot work pretty well. No need to thin it if you get at least 3/4 HP.

Reply to
M.Paul

The airless Craco would be my choice. I've sprayed exterior acrylic latex (elastomeric paint) ... Have thin it and strain it. Thick stuff.

Reply to
Oren

DITTO...Go rent one....

Reply to
benick

Paul Oman wrote in news:gPqdncXj_Yo3InTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

you might want to mention what units you tried in the past.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I've had real good luck with our magnum (grayco) xl900. Does great with thick assed kilz brand paint.

Reply to
Steve Barker

With wind and overspray, taping off, and cleanup often by the end of a small job spraying is not worth it, any wind can ruin a close by neighbors windows or car, one day without a real breeze while staining oil on a house my car was covered with stain and it was 50 ft away. As a pro I had and have a Titan, but rarely used it.

Reply to
ransley

The only thing that does a good job with latex is airless. There are no compressor driven systems that do well pushing latex paint without extensive thinning. Airless clean up is simple. A reversa tip sure makes life better. If you plan to use this rig much and you plan to own it, get a short light weight whip for the last 10 feet of hose. An extension pole on the gun sure helps if the height demands it. Plan on straining paint even from brand new 5's.

Reply to
DanG

The most capable airless sprayers are driven by compressed air. They can spray very thick coatings such as concrete block filler without thinning. You can connect several spray guns to them and use them at the same time. Electric motor powered sprayers cannot do this.

Kuskokwim

Thats real helpfull, like a shotgun to kill a fly, yea that sure is the Homeowner Unit he requested, and nice and quiet with a compressor. But its not something you will even see in any big office rehab due to the compressors noise, My Titan has put out near 400 gallons without a break down, its real small and what is used by alot of pros I know.

Reply to
ransley

If you look again, you will notice that I was replying to DanG's incorrect statement that "There are no compressor driven systems that do well pushing latex paint without extensive thinning," not the OP. Nothing wrong with setting the record straight.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Read that Titans and Grecos have a lot of repair problems per the repair shops according to pros. Airlessco seem to be better in terms of reliability. I think tho they cost a bit more.

Reply to
Guy