Landscape Lighting Controller Installation

Hello Helpers!

I would like to install an outdoor Motion Detect Floodlight (120V,

150W) with a Timer control such that the floodlight would function only in the night according to the timer settings.

However, I do not know what is standard or typical way of installing the timer, and the location of it.

Therefore, I come up with a plan of setting up a new circuit breaker, wire from breaker to a small "box" hanging in my basement concrete walls. This box will contain a GFCI outlet, a timer plug into the outlet, and the timer output wires connect to Floodlight. I thought of this set up because I could not find any budget timer controller that allows me to wire into it and out directly. I think of using interior timer controller (various kinds), and that's why I need to set up a box with GFCI outlet, and plug the interior timer into the outlet. The cheapest timer allowing direct wiring cost like $50+ in Lowes!

Now, though this seems logical, but looks a little odd to me. Got a few questions:

1) How should I hang the "box" in the basement? I am thinking to use some sort of electrical weather-proof box. Should I hang this box against a piece of wood panel, then the wood panel against the concrete wall ?

2) Is there a better or standard set up for timer control ?

Many Thanks in Advance! Sean

Reply to
sftong2000

"Standard" would be to bite the bullet and get a direct wire timer, installed in basement. I mount a board next to breaker box for these type of things. Intermatic is the most common type (around here) of these timers. See

around. you could get them for less than $50.

Reply to
No

All of the motion detector lights I have seen also have a photocell in the same houseing so that they will only turn on the lights if it is dark. No timer needed unless you want the lights to be active for only part of the dark time.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

I'm a little bit confused by your post, but it seems like something like this might work for you:

The day/night control is housed in the unit itself, using a photo sensor. At $12, it seems pretty cheap to me, and has lots of options. I have 4 of a higher end model ($34, greater motion detection range), and they work fine. There is also one in between, at $22, that has a range between the two.

Do you need to use a timer for the day/night control, or will light detection work? A simple light detection solution is the kind that screws into the socket, then the bulb screws into it, like this:

Of course, at $12, you could buy a whole new unit. I know Lowe's/Depot sells these things, too.

Reply to
houseonhawthorne