Lamp Switch Repair questions

I have a table lamp that uses a three way switch. But, the lamp does not use a 3 way light bulb. Here is how the switch works:

1st position: very small night light, at the bottom of the lamp is on 2nd position: night light and regular light bulb are on 3rd position: only the regular light bulb is on

here is my question..... when I go to buy the switch, is it a regular 3 way lamp switch, or is there some other configuration/name that I need ?

Thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

If the switch is part of the socket, you'll have to do something custom. I don't know if there are 3-way switches that are divorced from the socket or not, but if there are, you could use one, but pos'ns 2 and 3 will be reversed.

nate

Reply to
N8N

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:42:28 -0800, N8N wrote [snip]

I've had lamps that used multiple regular (not 3-way) sockets and a separate switch for 3-way function.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It is probably a regular three-way switch. I think you have a switch on the lamp side, not on the side of the socket itself. If it is on the side /lampo base, than any old 3-way switch will do. My wife has a dressing table lamp exactly like that.

Reply to
hrhofmann