Laminate flooring waterproof protection

I'm currently using my old laminate flooring to use as a wall in the bathroom until I can afford splashback. I've heard I can use furniture varnish or furniture polish is this true or will the moisture off the shower/bath ruin the wood.

Thanks

Reply to
darylgallagher292

Laminate is usually some type of plastic over hardboard and is fairly waterproof. Most damage comes from water getting between the seams and getting to the backing. What wall is this on? How much water?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's also used to refer to thin real hardwood over engineered substrate, so who knows what he has or like you say, where it's going. If it's a wall in the bathroom, it should be fine. If it's a shower wall, forget about it.

Reply to
trader_4

It's around my bath/shower, I was told I could use furniture varnish or polish. It's only until I can afford to get splash back to cover the laminate flooring

Reply to
darylgallagher292

Is there anything I can use to waterproof it at all

Reply to
darylgallagher292

A couple of coats of polyurethane may get you by a couple of years. It is the seams that will be the weak spot. You can extend it by hanging a shower curtain on the other side to keep the bulk of water off of it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's great, cheers mate. That'll do till I can afford the splash back to go on

Reply to
darylgallagher292

How are you attaching the laminate flooring to the walls ?

Assuming that you are caulking the corners and edges - why not just put a tiny bead of caulk along the joints as well ? Forget about protecting the whole surface - just the joints and edges. Flooring was designed to be washed with water & mop .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

"ARound the shower" still doesn't answer the question. That could mean anything from ceiling to floor in the shower or only a section of wall above a shower enclosure that gets little water on it. I guess in any case, I'm not seeing the great savings in doing it twice. Some tile doesn't cost that much, it's the labor that's usually the bigger factor. And if you use laminate in the wrong area, the backer board gets screwed, then you have a bigger job. IDK how you're going to fasten it, remove it without screwing the board anyway, that's another issue.

Reply to
trader_4