laminate floor

I'm looking for cost effective laminate flooring for the DIYer. I'm thinking of redoing the whole main floor of my home with it, which consists of foyer, hall, closet, half bath, kitchen, living and dining rooms. Any pros and cons to doing the kitchen? I was originally thinking of just laying tile there for a "traditional" look.

Anyone know of "cheaper" cost for laminate flooring as opposed to the traditional Lowe's and Home Depot stores? I live in the Baltimore area. The cheapest I've seen so far is $1.50 to $1.75 a square foot of Pergo. We don't plan on living in our house "forever", but the carpets look hideous and it would probably sell better and easier without that carpet as an eyesore.

Reply to
Jones

Just bought some from Sam's Club for $1.16 per square foot and they had three colors in-stock. We installed laminate in our kitchen about 5 years ago and its held up nicly through two water leaks and and everything else that goes on in a kitchen. I have also seen laminate flooring in the "building Materials section of our local paper for .99 per square foot.

At a $1.75 its a lot less than carpet when you factor in carpet cleaning over the life of the carpet.

Good luck,

AZCRAIG

Reply to
cm

a sq./ 15 yr. warranty.

Reply to
Rich

If you are going to do the kitchen my recommendation would be to make sure that your dishwasher is in good condition. A leak there can seep under the floor and ruin it. As a matter of fact a leak anywhere could do the same thing, but the dishwasher seems to be the most common problem.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Charles Spitzer

I agree. I've had mine down in the kitchen for 6 years and it's perfect - cept where the cats water dish is and it's seeped under.

Reply to
Fogbank

Reply to
Blue