Kohler faucet-poor temp regulation

A house we just moved into has two identical Kohler faucets. The one for the MB shower stall sucks for temperature regulation. It can sometime take

3-5 minutes to get the temperature correct, with the slightest movement of the single handle faucet creating dramatic temp swings. The other one in the other bathroom, tub/shower works fine. Would changing out some of the inner parts help this? Changing out the faucet is not possible w/o tearing out an entire linen closet. Estimated age of faucets is 17 years.

Thanks,

Reply to
Joe J

The pressure balancing mechanism inside the Kohler shower valves is replaceable, and (in my case, given that I had the original receipt from 11 years ago) a no-cost, warranty parts shipment direct from Kohler.

The mechanism does develop internal leaks which make the valve mis-behave exactly the way you describe. Two rubber diaphragms (one for hot and one for hold) are actuated by small ceramic plungers, and they eventually wear out, leaking the hot into the cold, and making the control no longer possible.

The repair procedure takes about an hour from start to finish, and is not particularly difficult except that there is a twisting required to un fasten the valve mechanism which is not especially obvious. The new replacement pressure balancing valve (PBV) comes with installation instructions as far as I can recall. Also, the Kohler website has a lot of useful data including exploded parts drawings, descriptions, etc. Kohler recommends and provides "plumbers grease / silicone grease" to lubricate the replacement PBV and seals, and I would strongly suggest getting some extra at Home Deport or Lowes. The tiny capsule they provided was not even remotely enough since it took me (an amateur plumber) several attempts to get the PBV to properly seat with no leaks. The grease Kohler provides gets used up the first time you try to install it.

Good luck.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Changing the innnards and cleaning out the bore would fix it.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk