KOHLER Rite-Temp leak

Having a problem with a shower valve that is leaking. I contacted Kohler and got replacement o-rings for the pressure regulator and a new plastic valve and installed based on their recommendation. This did not correct the problem however which leaves me wondering what it could be. I'm losing about three gallons a day.

Any ideas?

I did notice that inside the brass body that houses the regulator, the brass connections that meet with the o-rings on the plastic pressure regulator seemed to have corroded slightly. Can they be cleaned with an abrasive or should they be left alone? Could this be the problem?

Thanks

Reply to
User

On 07/15/04 "User" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com asks in part:

What was the part number of the "new plastic valve"?

I generally recommend replacing both the control valve and pressure balancing unit at the same time

Never use anything abrasive on a sealing surface like that. One minor change in the profile surface could really mess you up>

Clean only with plain white vinegar....(soak a rag and stick it inside the valve body for a couple of hours)

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2

Plastic Valve is really called a mixer cap. Part number is 77759.

Thanks for the info - I'm going to get a hold of the press bal unit and install.

Incidently, I have a second shower in this house doing the exact same thing (newly purchased house). Is this normal for Kohler rite-temp fixtures or am I just unlucky?

Tom

Reply to
User

On 07/16/04 "User" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Asks:

"Newly purchased" doesn't really mean much. How old are the valves?

The first thing I'd do, before considering how lucky you are, is find out how high your static water pressure is over a 24 hour period. Anything over 60 PSI is more than you need, and will contribute to shortened life spans of some plumbing products./

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2

I used "Newly purchased" because its new to me but not a new house. I believe the previous owners renovated the bathrooms within the last 6 years but basically I don't know how old the valves are.

I'll get the static pressure checked.

Thanks again.

Reply to
User