KitchenAid parent company/other brands

I have a Kitchenaid dishwasher, about two years old, that has done nothing but give me trouble. It leaves fine particles of food clinging to the glassware, regardless of the detergent used. It finally died today, my son wondered why it didn't wash last night's load of dishes and we found out that there was no water getting to it. Also, the upper rack supports broke, as well as the handle on the upper rack. This is only from normal, once a day use.

The local appliance store that I bought it from has one service guy, and he doesn't know what he's doing half the time, it seems. They seem to expect my calls.

So, before I replace it, I want to know what other brands the parent company of Kitchenaid owns so I can avoid those too. I would also like recomendations for a new model that will simply be ultra-reliable and clean the dishes. Many fancy features are totally unnecessary. We have ours set on heavy load and pre-wash all the time, except for an occasional quick rinse.

I have heard good things about Bosch, Miele, Fisher and Paykel. Does anyone have a negative about any of them? Also, how are Maytag products? Cost is not much of a concern; we are building a new house but I hate to leave the buyer of our current house with such a piece of shit.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

=== I have a top of the line Bosch--about 9 months, now--No complaints. Avoid Maytag. Kenmore has reliable, good performing dishwashers overall. I would have replaced my old Kenmore with another if they were better sound insulated. Check out

lots of talk about dishwashers. === ===

Reply to
gini52

My daughter-in-law's brand new KitchenAid does the very same thing, plus it seemed to her to be far too noisy. After three services calls ("wrong detergent," my ass!) the last guy really listened to her complaints.

He found that a tube at the back of the washing chamber was disconnected or something (I'm getting this 3rd hand from my wife!) , and in fact, was the wrong one for this machine! As a result, water meant for the shower head at the top was diverted to elsewhere (causing the noise) and food particles were left on the dishes.

Correct part is on order.

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells

Reply to
Art Todesco

Add Asko to the list as well.

Dimitri

Reply to
D. Gerasimatos

Have you contacted the manufacturer? It seems that there should still be some warranty left on this machine if it is only 2 years old -- and if you have proof that you have file numerous problems with the store where you bought it, there might be some "lemon" coverage (that is, you might be able to convince them to replace it or give a big discount).

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Bosch............probably NOT the best out there.

Miele and Asko are better. Bosch is 3rd......Asko 2nd......Miele #1. quietest machine of them all.

C.A.

Reply to
Carpenter Ant

Hi,

Whirlpool is the owner of KA...

makes what.

Repair parts are tough to get many times, service in many area's is non-existant, parts are often over priced.

Quiet and has good ability to wash well!! Too bad most of thier line is full of electronics!

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:28:35 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE" wrote (with possible editing):

I have a top of the line Kitchen Aid, about 3 years old. I've just had quite a bit of trouble, and while it is mostly working, it still leaves a lot to be desired. When I called the company, they refused to talk to me, saying I needed to contact my dealer. The dealer is a nice enough guy and trying real hard, but he doesn't know what's wrong either. Kitchen Aid should be able to tell, since the timer always has the same approximate time on the display when it screws up (42 -

49 minutes - I forget exactly, but somewhere in that range), but they don't seem to want to bother.

Kitchen Aid was previously owned by Hobart, now Whirlpool, so I'm avoiding Whirlpool as well. I asked a friend who's an architect and he recommended Bosch and, I think, Amana. I've heard good things about Miehl, but I can't find a dealer anywhere in this area, which means there would probably be no service.

When I asked the same question here earlier, one or two folks mentioned that Bosch was either hard to service or hard to obtain parts.

-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

where are they manufactured for sale in the US? In the US like Bosch?

Reply to
nospam

Kitchenaid is now owned by Whirlpool.

Bert Hyman

=== Wanna buy my Audi ;-) === ===

Reply to
gini52

You shouldn't have to contact the selling dealer, any KitchenAid authorized factory service depot should be able to perform service on it, even under warranty. If you're not happy with the dealer (or they can't determine the problem) call a different KitchenAid repair depot. You can locate local one using the link below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Check out

and see what is located at the Princeton location - _a design center and show room_

Perhaps the equipment being shown there is manufactured at their facility in Mexico? I guess not because that is another showroom and design center

nospam

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:41:56 -0400, "Dan O." wrote (with possible editing):

-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

They do NOT sell direct find a local miele dealer near you.

C.A.

Reply to
Carpenter Ant

Ever or just immediately?

I don't know too many companies in this industry that will do that, that's what they pay their service agents for. I'm sure you can see the potential for considerable staffing needs in potentially dealing with millions of end users rather than just their thousands of authorized service depots across the country?

Than check the timing chart on the wiring diagram locating in the dishwasher and see for yourself. On electronic models thay usually have a service 'tech sheet' behind the access panel and/or in the area below the tub. If not there it may be rolled up inside the console panel or on older models pasted to the inside of the outer door panel.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

You can see some of their models at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Don't confuse most expensive with best. BTW, if you don't want the other guy's Audi, I have a VW Passat you might be interested in.

Reply to
Michael S. Trachtenberg

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:47:01 -0400, "Dan O." wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

Again, thanks, Dan, but I looked in both places and it wasn't there. FWIW, I'd be willing to pay for one - model is KUDS01DJWH0 and serial number is FK3902687. Fax number here is (603) 237-8430.

Unit is on a 15 amp GFI circuit by itself and wired with Romex 12/2 w/ground. Breaker never trips. When the problem first started, it would blow fuses. It appeared to be caused by excessive heat as two parts of the plastic handle were melting. The service guy replaced one and I replaced the other. Then Kitchen Aid sent a kit consisting of a new fuse, fuse holder and longer wires. Fuse was same value, but higher heat rating. Now the fuse no longer blows, but the dishwasher still takes several hours (3 - 4) to complete the cycle as opposed to the 2 that it used to take.