Keyless door locks

Anyone purchased a keyless door lock recently? I have been thinking of getting one for my house and don't know which to buy the prices seem to vary I found this one

for 46.00 w/shipping

Looks like the same one here for 60.00 plus shipping

and this one for 70.00?

Anybody buy one of these seems worthwhile for 46.00 for those times when you don't have the keys or need a neighbor or friend to check on the house

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Use a keyless remote garage door opener keypad instead.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I have one more of a pain to program for one time use and in case of power outage doesn't work garage door is pretty slow then have to go out and use the code again to relock just a pain

Wayne

Travis Jordan wrote:

Reply to
wayne

You'd be surprised. I installed one and now I use it almost daily when I'm outside working.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I had one made by Weiser, sold in Lowes for about 100 bucks. Really liked it when I walked the dog, no keys no wallet, Programming them is a bit of a challenge. Mostly cause you do not do it very often. Even with premium batteries of the AA variety I changed the batteries every

8 months or so. If the batteries die you need a key or another entry into the house. If I ever stay in a house for more than a year I will buy them again
Reply to
SQLit

I've used two different models in both houes I owned and liked them both. Though I have a slight preference for the one I have now, which is

I previously had something similar to
but mine was made by a company called Lockey.

I prefer the one I have now because it has more possible combinations, which makes it more secure, and you can change the combination without removing the faceplate off the lock. You must remove the faceplate on the other one to change the combination.

wayne wrote:

Reply to
jeffg

I installed two of those $46.00 locks (at least, they look identical), one on our home and one on our walk-in garage door, that I purchased on e-Bay and they seem to work fine for the price. The reason I said "for the price" is because they are made quite cheaply and I actually had to make a repair on one of them before installing it.

If they are going to get used a lot I would NOT recommend them unless you are handy and don't mind messing with them. I am just going to purchase another one for a spare so I will have a matching one if one fails.

Don

Reply to
Donald Gares

Thanks that is the kind of feedback I was looking for

Wayne

D> wayne wrote:

Reply to
wayne

We bought the Weiser unit and put it on the door to the house from our garage. Great to have when carrying something from the car and don't want to fumble with finding the right key.

The kids often head out that way and don't have to worry about carrying a key. The garage door uses a keypad to open, then the keypad to enter the house.

The Weiser lock also lets you program in a second code, so if you have to have any contractor come in, you can give them a code that you can clear/change once the work is done without effecting your own day-to-day code.

I find I get about that length with budget-priced AA batteries. You do get several days to a week of notice when the sound of it locking and unlocking starts to get weak.

They sell around here for about C$120 (about US$100), but we bought ours when someone had it on sale for C$90, so we went to the BORG and got them to match it minus 10%.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

I have one made by Kwikset, which has wireless remotes and keypad. I've been using these for about 6 years, and they work great. It's handy to be able to unlock the door as you walk up, and it automatically locks after 30 seconds or so.

The remote can also control a light and certain garage doors.

They don't have it on their web site now, instead replacing it with a non-remote keypad, probably made by Weiser.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

I haven't had a house key since 1971. I have the Simplex mechanical combo locks. No batteries

Reply to
gfretwell