kenmore dryer - motor?

My dryer seems to have kicked the bucket the other day. By the looks of what I've been reading it sounds like its probably the motor - dryer doesn't start, sits there and turns very slowly when the start button is held down, but stops as soon as it lets go, if left pressed in too long it will shut itself down by way of a breaker. Also lights dim when the button is pressed down.

My dryer seems to be a 279827 motor, and from what I see a lot of 220v dryers also run off that same motor? Is it possible to just pickup a cheap used 220v machine and rip the motor out for use in my 110v dryer? If so, would the connections on the motor from the 220v machine be the same?

thanks, ben

Reply to
ben45

That number means nothing to me. Where is it from?

Is it possible to just pickup a cheap

It must have the same mounting and the same shaft size, same RPM, same Horsepower.

If so,

No. Some motors are dual voltage though. I have no idea about the one you have or will obtain.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

the 279827 is a common replacement motor model number for a lot of these dryers, I'm not sure if its a particular company that makes that model or if its a generic model number. it has the right specs, 1725rpm, 115v,

1/3hp.... same mounting and shaft... my questionn was is it true that there is only a 115v motor in a 220v dryer, and could it really be the exact same one because according to self help sites regarding dryer repairs it seems like they use the same replacement motor....?

ben

Reply to
ben45