Kenmore beltdrive agitator problem

Got a agitator problem that has me stumped. The agitator works intermittantly. If I fill the washer with water and no clothes the agitator works fine, cannot stop it with my hands, add a few clothes and the agitator will stop. Take out a couple of items and it starts back up again. Took the agitator off and it is not stripped. Got one of the kids to add clothes while I looked underneath and noticed when it would stop agitating the agitate cam bar fork would lift up the cam bar and it would stop the agitation. My next move was to start the agitation and lift up on the agitator from the bottom(from inside the machine). As I did this while it is agitating I noticed a slight up and down play in the shaft. As it reached the top of the play the agitation stopped, let go of the agitator and as it bottomed out the agitation started back up. It seems as if the clothes are causing the agitator to pull up on the shaft.

I figure that the shaft should not be able to move like this(maybe I am wrong and it is supposed to be able to have some play in it) and is causing the the problem.

Anybody got a solution for me?

Richard

Reply to
rburge58

Hi, Clutch problem?(worn out pad slipping)

Reply to
Tony Hwang