jet pump problem

My well pump apparently lost its prime tonight, I noticed air coming out the faucets before it quit entirely. I have a (part) artesian well, and there is a side pipe/overflow (whatever you want to call it)from the well that always flows into the swamp out back, all year long. I shut that off to build pressure into the house so i could deal with the pump in the AM, but water never came. So I went out, took the fill cap off the pump and turned to grab a water jug. When I turned back water was flowing out so I had my prime, I capped it and turned it on and its working for now.

questions:

What should I look for as a cause of the problem? This never happened before and I assume it aint a good thing! I did look and listen for leaks but didnt notice any.

About that overflow pipe-I reopened it but does that need to be open? Why?

Reply to
Joe

Losing prime in a jet pump could be from air getting into the pump housing somehow, which means a leak. The first thing to do is check all the joints for any leakage before you get too far into it, it might be a simple matter of tightening or replacing a clamp or reinstalling a threaded connection with some teflon tape.

Reply to
louie

I think I found the problem in the Air Volume control, which appears to be leaking (water out, air in).

Reply to
Joe