It broke (Allen wrench)

Yep. Many brand names have become applied to the generic term for a tool. A crescent wrench, channel-lock pliers, phillips screwdriver are but a few. Not that the original was always better or a 2nd gen generic tool can't be as good or better than the original. Williams Tool made better adjustable wrenches than Crescent Tool.

Good tools are where you find them. The best pair of adjustable pliers (channel-locks) I ever owned were cheapo knock-offs made by Wizard and sold by Grand Auto. Hardened jaws and form-fitting handles at half the price. Also, many tools are simply rebranded. You don't think Snap-On actually makes all those tools, do you? They may have super good wrenches, but I once bought a Snap-On oil can that was cheap junk and broke the first time I used it. Many once great brand names have been bought by Chinese companies. I've got an old B&D 3/8" adj drill motor that's almost indestructable. Will run till it's too hot to hold. I wouldn't give eight cents for the new B&D line.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yep. And sometimes an entity gets an early reputation and coasts. Quick, name the "best" university in America....

Most would say Harvard. Harvard was the first university in America and earned its reputation early. Since then, the school has pretty much withered. On the other hand, very, very few people can name the SECOND university founded in America...

William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA, founded 1693). That school has been trying to catch up - in reputation - for over 300 years.

Reply to
HeyBub

Maybe if the turn it into a penitentiary.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The problem that I've had with Sears is that they don't stock a lot of tools, and won't order stuff for you for warranty - they'll only exchange your stuff if they have it in store. So if you need to warranty, say, a metric flare nut wrench - the warranty is useless. (not that I've ever had that happen to me, mind you.)

On the upside, it's worked *for* me at least once as well - had to warranty a 1/2" drive ratchet, and they don't "sell" the ratchet rebuild kits anymore. It was the typical Craftsman forged-finish ratchet, and they didn't have one in the "rebuild" drawer that they use for ratchet warranties. They did, however, have the polished- handle version, and for some reason would rather give me the rebuilt polished handle one than the new equivalent of the one that I had in my hand. That did make me happy!

nate

Reply to
N8N

It already is in the sense that it's training it's inmates to unproductive lines of endeavor (Women's Studies, Black History, Leprechauns in Literature, Medieval and Renaissance Studies, etc. They even sport a "Design Your Own Major" program.).

Reply to
HeyBub