ISP Blocks Twitter and Facebook

My dog has a Facebook page but I don't. It does seem to be the best place to see pictures of grand kids but not good for much else.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am not sure all ISPs are considered public utilities and none are like the old "Ma Bell" (regulated monopolies) in spite of the fact that some are virtually monopolies in their areas.

The example here would be Comcast. They have a monopoly on truly fast internet, unless you think 10mb is fast. They exploit that monopoly by giving you lousy service and telling you "tough shit, what are you going to do about it"?

My answer was "Live with 10".

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah I can get a screaming 10mb out of the phone company and if I was another half mile down the road that would be more like 3mb.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe you should just see what the broadband opportunities are across the US

gfretwell

I know that its nothing like he claimed.

Reply to
Fred

I use the platform the kids decided on for family communication.

As for dealing in junk. I don't do a lot of that. I wouldn't look at a Facebook ad first if I did. We have better local BBs for that. I am usually giving stuff away anyhow.

Reply to
gfretwell

It all gets down to how far are you from the fiber. I am around a mile and a half. You get much farther out, you get 3meg then I think 1 and none but I am not sure. Nobody here would buy 3 meg. I can live with a solid 24/7/365 10meg. If Comcast ever got their shit together I might give them another shot. I was really hoping for Verison but they were worse than Comcast and not nearly as fast. Someone said, try T mobile.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

Around 2001 I had Starband (satellite). It started out a little better than POTS dialup. Then it got worse. Then it got a lot worse.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd