Really? I guess the EPA, CPSC and the American Lung Assn. really don't
have a clue...
Selected quotes from:
"How many people are unintentionally poisoned by CO?
Every year, over 200 people in the United States die from CO produced
by fuel-burning appliances (furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room
heaters). Others die from CO produced while burning charcoal inside a
home, garage, vehicle or tent. Still others die from CO produced by
cars left running in attached garages. Several thousand people go to
hospital emergency rooms for treatment for CO poisoning. "
Never use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes dryers for
heating your home.
Never operate unvented fuel-burning appliances in any room with closed
doors or windows or in any room where people are sleeping.
Selected quotes from:
" Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil,
kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel
are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually
not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are
used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Hundreds of
people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by
malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more
die from CO produced by idling cars. Fetuses, infants, elderly people,
and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory
disease can be especially susceptible."
DO choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside whenever
possible, have them properly installed, and maintain them according to
DO read and follow all of the instructions that accompany any
fuel-burning device. If you cannot avoid using an unvented gas or
kerosene space heater, carefully follow the cautions that come with
the device. Use the proper fuel and keep doors to the rest of the
house open. Crack a window to ensure enough air for ventilation and
DON'T sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
Selected quotes from: American Lung Assn.
Nearly 300 people die every year from carbon monoxide exposure related
to residential combustion appliances, and thousands of others become
ill or seek medical attention.
Any fuel-burning appliance that is not adequately vented and
maintained can be a potential source of CO, including:
gas appliances (furnaces, ranges, ovens, water heaters, clothes
dryers, etc.) fireplaces, wood and coal stoves, space heaters
charcoal grills, automobile exhaust fumes, camp stoves, gas-powered
lawn mowers, and power tools
Do whatever you want in your home with your family, personally, I
wouldn't dare take the chance of running an unvented gas appliance
that was designed and manufactured to be vented.
Sure they do. Any combustion appliance is capable of producing
CO given the right circumstances. If it burns carbon containing
fuel, it's possible to malfunction into producing CO.
My mother was on a coroner's inquest about someone who died
from CO poisoning.
Because of dustbunnies obstructing a natural gas appliance's
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
Easy to claim. Hell of a lot harder to actually prove.
There's really only one way to prove that 'dustbunnies'
claim, do some test with and without the 'dustbunnies'
while measuring CO levels, and they didnt actually do that.
Wrong, as always. Those are AFTER the burner, stupid.
Like hell it doesn't!
Rod, even *you* can't be that stupid, can you?
Wait... I retract my question.
What in the hell was I thinking?
You are the biggest jerk to ever grace
these two newsgroups with your inflated ego,
to this very day. You should be so proud!
You are stupid. Incredibly stupid.
Exponentionally stupid. You redefine stupid.
You are flamebait to the googolplex.
Come Christmas, you could make a fortune on eBay,
selling dim bulbs and freshly tatted doilies.
Now go soak your head, and don't forget to flush!
Out of curiousity, I plugged "rod speed" into a google/groups search.
Apparently, the pattern displayed by RS here is a way of life for him.
I had to page through about 500 subjects before finding a post that
wasn't slamming the dufus...
Four words hold the key to ridding ourselves of a pest such as RS:
Don't Feed the Trolls
This type of outrageous behavior is all he lives for, take away his
food supply and he'll either shrivel up and die or at least go
elsewhere for his perverted sustenance.
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:59:39 -0000, firstname.lastname@example.org (Chris
At first I thought Mr. Speed was simply misinformed, then someone
mentioned "troll", then, the more he writes, I think "idiot", then it
dawns on me that poor Mr. Speed has been inhaling way too much CO, his
brain function is reduced to a point where all he can do is parrot
phrases such as, "But in practice that doesnt actually happen with
unvented natural gas room heaters" and "Have fun explaining unvented
natural gas room heaters."
I wonder if the damage is permanent...
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.