is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter?

Joseph Meehan wrote

How many unvented room heaters have a CO detector that shuts off the heater when it gets too high ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yep, Trolls

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Joseph Meehan wrote

Just how many of you are there between those ears, Meehan ?

Been jumping at bogeymen long, child ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

According to HeatMan :

How do they ensure that the drying air doesn't backdraft the combustion air?

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Rod Speed :

Sure they do. Any combustion appliance is capable of producing CO given the right circumstances. If it burns carbon containing fuel, it's possible to malfunction into producing CO.

My mother was on a coroner's inquest about someone who died from CO poisoning.

Because of dustbunnies obstructing a natural gas appliance's air supply.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Chris Lewis wrote

Pity those circumstances dont occur in real life.

And you're welcome to add a CO sensor if you're that neurotic anyway.

Mindless pig ignorant waffle. Have fun explaining why its so rare with unvented natural gas room heaters.

Easy to claim. Hell of a lot harder to actually prove.

And it wouldnt happen with a dryer anyway, they have fans that most natural gas appliances dont.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Turn on the AC if you dare to bake Christmas cookies? :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I believe most if not all of them do today.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

At first I thought Mr. Speed was simply misinformed, then someone mentioned "troll", then, the more he writes, I think "idiot", then it dawns on me that poor Mr. Speed has been inhaling way too much CO, his brain function is reduced to a point where all he can do is parrot phrases such as, "But in practice that doesnt actually happen with unvented natural gas room heaters" and "Have fun explaining unvented natural gas room heaters."

I wonder if the damage is permanent...

DJ

Reply to
DJ

No. The crux of the matter isn't whether something COULD go wrong, it's whether something is LIKELY to go wrong. If the odds are

1 in a billion, then it's ignorable. If they're 1 in a million, then it's probably against code, but it's not what *I*d consider dangerous. If they're one in a thousand, than it's a dumb-ass idea.

(all relative to the expected gain, which is not all that large, to begin with)

Reply to
Goedjn

Yaaaa, and who knows, maybe your roof will malfunction and fall on you... After it happens it'll be too late to do anything....

For the only mildly paranoid, a CO detector will handle the contingencies.

Every winter I divert my dryer indoors through a homemade HEPA filter

- several automotive air cleaners stacked on top of each other. The heat is useful, as is the humidity. Cheaper than running a humidifier all the time.

My dryer is in my large bathroom. I usually throw a load in to dry before I shower. It's nice to step out to a nice humid, warm room.

John

Reply to
Neon John

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind DJ desperately attempted to bullsit its way out of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

Dont burn anything at all, ever. I'm all electric thanks, child.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Goedjn wrote

And its completely trivial to add a CO sensor if you're a neurotic too.

Not a shred of rocket science required at all.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Joseph Meehan wrote

You're wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Actually they have an OXYGEN DEPLETION sensor that shuts off the heater if the oxygen level falls too low to support proper combustion. Which makes sense when you think about it... Why freeze to death when you are dying of CO poisoning from that unvented dryer?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Keeps the corpse from smelling too bad...

DJ

Reply to
DJ

No, I believe rivers run on solar energy. It's part of that big thermal-evaporation-precipitation cycle.

Reply to
websurf1

In two houses I used to own, I experimented with venting an electric dryer into the house. I did this in the winter, in climates that had snow.

In one case I probably got away with it, due to the size of the house and its very old age. It leaked air like a sieve. Consequently, the air changed frequently and the vapor likely didn't collect anywhere. My only problem was lint.

In the second case, the house was 1,000 square feet, and new and therefore well sealed (mostly). I had a family of rout. This was a complete failure. The dryer ran very long, since the incoming air to the dryer was very moist. I had visible moisture in the air after two loads of laundry, heavy condensation on the dual-pane windows, etc. There was a build-up of ice on the insulation that covered the attic access. This was in a high-altitude and very dry climate. I conclude that you can destroy your house by rotting it, if you have too much moisture for the size of the house.

Moisturizing your house by using the dryer might work, but you may be putting large amounts of moisture into the air in a very short length of time, saturating the air and causing the problems listed above. Maybe if you do one load on any given day, have a very small family, large or leaky house, etc., you could get away with it.

If I find myself in a cold climate again, I would pursue a heat exchanger instead of indoor venting.

As for the gas dryer/monoxide problem: I've never had a gas dryer, nor a gas room heater of the non-vented type. I would like someone to read their owner's manual for a non-vented gas-fired room heater, and let us know the warnings associated with it. While CO might not be a problem for a properly working heater, I have to assume that there is either a buildup of combustion products in the room, or the instructions tell you to crack a window or something. To my logic, it seems impossible that you could run a heater indefinitely, in a cold climate, in a well-sealed house, and not expect problems.

IF these assumptions are not correct, would some knowledgable person please reply with an explanation (as opposed to the useless RS-type responses that make statements with no support).

Thanks.

Reply to
websurf1

Have fun explaining unvented natural gas room heaters.

Lying, as always. Pity about the unvented natural gas room heaters.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What a great idea! I never even though of this. Look what I found on the internet. It seems to be just for this type of thing, with an electric dryer. I live near Buffalo NY. I can use all the help I can get with heat. . .

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley