Is this foil/foam/foil insulation good?

Hi,

I'm looking for insulation for my small garage/shop for the ceiling, which I prefer not to cover after insulating it. Anybody know about this stuff? Is it really as good as it appears? TIA

ibarakicho

Try Tuff-R 4'X8' sections.

Reply to
Whitaker

You would need 2 inches of that to have the same R value as the OPs link and that stuff is 1/4" thick for R14. Sounds pretty good. I'll look into it for underfloor insulation

It looks superior at reflecting radiated heat as well as blocking conducted heat.

The Tuff R is about $8 for 1" 4x8 while the other stuff is about $0.29 per SF in the larger roll. Actually less expensive for R14 equivelent.

Reply to
PipeDown

Do you really believe that? R14 for one 1/4" layer?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

R14 for 1/4" is pure bullshit , lets see an independant lab certifiction on this. So one inch could be put in walls and homes ceilings and take us all into super insulation of R 56 per inch.

Reply to
m Ransley

The specs say there is little to no advantage to using more than one layer. That being said, I also doubt the R14 claim. Kind of sounds like the stuff they used to sell in Arizona back in the 80s that people would lay on top of the blown insulation in their attics . Was supposed to be great but I think the State put a stop to their claims that it actually worked and sales dried up.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom

I would report these guys to Gov. to see if their claims can be verified. If their claim was true on R value then multiple layers would help. R 56", I know of no product of R 56".

R 7.2" is the highest I know of for insulation, foil faced Polyisocyanurate, and it settles after outgassing to near R 6.2 per inch.

It is like Insulating paint and Reflextic, No independantly verified testing has been done by a certified lab. Id say snake oil.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks, everyone. Advice is well taken.

Reply to