Can I use expanding foam filler with Kingspan?

My Kingspanned ceiling has a gap or two (or a hundred), which I could fill up nicely with expanding foam filler. Can anyone tell me if it reacts with the Kingspan? I am worried that the solvent in the filler might melt the Kingspan foam.

Thanks, Original Poster.

Reply to
David Pearson

AFAIK, the release of the urethane foam from the can starts the polymerisation reaction which is not reversible. The polyurethane foam produced should be virtually identical to kingspan. I think KS is all PU. So yes you should be okay.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

It works fine. I did this in a couple of places when insulating my workshop.

I taped over the gaps using the foil tape leaving a small hole for the nozzle of the can at one end and another at the other to allow air to escape.

A *small* squirt and job done. I do mean small though. Read the Peter Parry canoe story in the FAQ.

Also, do wear gloves as this stuff sticks to the fingers for days.

For a ceiling, definitely cover the floor.

Once cured, you can remove excess from the surface with a utility knife and tape over it if you want.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Stickier than extremely sticky stuff. How ever if you get to it with vegetable oil whilst still fresh you can get most of it off. I wonder if a thin smear of veg oil would act as a release agent and stop you getting sticky in the first place?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Where can I find the faq ??

Reply to
Tim Morley

Andy Hall

You can buy HUGE cans with long pipes to ease the cost and effort of installation. This is what I intend to use. google for "spray foam"

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Thanks Andy, and everyone else who replied.

I have used it before for a different job. A blob fell in my hair, and I thought "was was that" as I reached up and rubbed it around my head a bit. Bad move!

-DP.

Reply to
David Pearson