Is there a way to remove scale from a gas water heater?

And, how much does flushing really help?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I understand you are supposed to drain them once per year, but I never do. I could kick myself in the butt sometimes for being so lazy.

I've always wondered if you could disconnect the supply pipe and pour something in the water heater and then drain it, but I don't know. Maybe somesort of mix of white vinegar, chlorine bleach and muriatic acid would work? I dunno.

The best solution is probably to buy a water heater with a very long warranty. I think some of them reduce build up by swirling the water in the tank.

Reply to
mgkelson

No, there is not any real way to get rid of it once it is there.

Hey - What an idea for an info commercial, where can I get in touch with Billy Maze? I got Joe's miracle tool to clean out your hot water heater! By passing the device over the outside of the water heater it will align the ions of the scale and change that nasty build up into a harmless substance that will attach itself to any lurking germs and bacterial in there and flush them all away. If you call right now I will include FREE the small faucet size to remove all the build up in those nasty screens and today only if you call in the next five minutes available only with this offer the shower head cleaner as well. All for only $14.95 plus shipping and handling of $159.95 _ make that last part appear in very fine print at the bottom of the screen for 1.5 seconds over a part of the image that is almost the same color as the text.

Yes regular flushing does help, but it does not eliminate what is already solidly attached. You need to flush regularly to do any good.

How much of a problem this is depends on the condition of the water as it goes into the water heater. Some areas like mine have very little problem, but some others have extreme problems.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

so what trouble is the scale causing?

other than a boiling sound when heating scale causes little trouble unless it fills the tank.... very rare.

so what troubles are you having? how old is your tank? gas or electric?

Reply to
hallerb