Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

maxine,

LOL! You just made the internet seem so... tangible!

How refreshing! :)

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yeah.

A bucket in the freezer. Put all food waste into it and take it right out to the dumpster when it gets full. I use a large ziplock bag to line it.

No muss, no fuss, no smell.

IMHO Insinkerators are one of the dumbest ideas in the world.

Barring that, run some vinegar down it now and then, or some lemon peels.

Reply to
Omelet

FYI -- you need plumber's putty even if you *do* have a stainless steel sink.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 01:53:48a, Goomba38 meant to say...

Well, of course, the hot water does not come in contact with the motor. However, disposers are meant to run short cycles, and those with large motors generate considerable internal heat. Using cold water helps to keep the motor cool, while hot water can easily cause it to overload and cut-out.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 09:05:55a, Goomba38 meant to say...

They can overheat quickly under the wrong conditions. I also run mine when the dishwasher is draining into it and have not had a problem. I have had it cut-off when using hot water and hot a larger load to grind. I'm sure it depends on the individual disposer as well.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I dunno, but I have had the red switch kick out when I ran hot water in MINE.

I guess the disposal is as dumb as me, huh?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My wife is fastidious, and even obsessive compulsive disorder on some things. But I could put a dead skunk in the trash compactor, compact it, and leave it there, and I doubt she'd notice it. Well, maybe she's not that bad, but there have been MANY times when I say, "Do you smell something bad?", and she says, "Not really." I don't know if "Not really" means yes, I smell it, but it isn't that bad, or I don't smell anything.

Now, I just automatically turn on the water and hit the switch whenever I'm close to it.

Steve

PS: She also thinks that the compactor MUST BE FULL in order to empty. I am working on that by putting chicken skins and salmon skins in there.

hehehe

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

What "red switch"? I've never had any problems from a garbage disposal or the mysterious "red switch" so I must be doing something right.

Reply to
Goomba38

"Omelet" wrote

Second only to keeping your garbage in a ziplock bag in the freezer ...........................

Reply to
Steve B

But who on earth is running a disposal so long that it has time to overheat? In fact, my dishwasher discharges into the pipes above my disposal. If there is anything in there, I can hear it and often run the disposal in a short spurt to clear the drain.

Reply to
Goomba38

"Goomba38" wrote

I remember Regis having some kind of garbage disposal red switch problem. He didn't know it was there, either. I have no idea if mine has one.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

If you RTFM, or go look under your disposal, there is a red button that kicks out when the unit is too hot, or it is jammed. There is also a hex shaped indentation in the middle that allows you to put a wrench into for the purposes of turning the blades to help unjam it.

JUST IN CASE YOU DO EVER IN YOUR LIFE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GARBAGE DISPOSAL, these two factoids will be very helpful.

I want your life. No problems.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They all have one, Nancy. Get under there and look, or just feel on the bottom of the unit. It's usually right around the downward facing edge. Knowing where it is, and where the wrench goes to help clear jams could save you some $$ on a service call where the man pushes the button, twists the wrench in the fitting, gets your disposal running again, and hands you a bill for $60.

Don't know where your wrench is? Didn't save it when you got the unit because you didn't know what it was for? Get another. They're cheap and very handy.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote

No, that can't be it. :)

Reply to
cybercat

"Steve B" wrote

You really can't imagine how sorry I am I looked under there. I heard that modifications were needed to put the monster in. I had no idea how bad it looked. Stuck my camera back there ... they had to cut away a bunch of the housing. Not looking any more.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

It's actually in a covered container on the back of the sink. ;-) I only suggested the freezer as I know two people that do that.

I empty mine every morning out of habit... I refuse to put any food based garbage in my regular trash can.

Meat wrappers go out to the dumpster immediately on opening.

Reply to
Omelet

I know a man who once HAD to wrap chicken bones in foil, then seal them inside a ziplock bag, then wrap that in newspaper, then seal the newspaper with gray Duct Tape. Then, and only then, would he put the package in his trash can. This all had to be done within one hour of finishing the meal.

Last I heard, he was having a relaxing time just sitting, making baskets, doing abstract paintings, and having an occasional session of electric shock therapy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That "red" button is called the reset switch. I have a new disposal, so to date, haven't needed to poke it.

The hex wrench or Allen wrench is the little tool with the bent end that goes underneath in the center of the unit to unjam the monster. You can find hex wrench sets anywhere, and they are cheap. I have about 3 different Craftsmen sets lying around.

Now I want one of the new In-Sink-Erators that will do artichoke chokes and pineapple tops. Grrrrrrrr.

N.

(As to how long to run the water - I imagine the garbage on its long path from my sink down to the basement, below the floor, and then running out to the sewer line. That's how long I let the water run. My disposal doesn't have an odor; it is nearly always clean enough for me to stick my hand in there (turned off, of course) and find the odd bit of plastic bread bag closer or whatever, without any problem. I noticed at a previous place of employment, though, that the constant dumping of coffee made the rubber gasket thingie really, really nasty on the underside. I imagine that comes from not enough water running through it.)

Reply to
Nancy2

I have pets that can get into the trash. There are more reasons to not put food based waste in the regular trashcan other than having OCD...

Reply to
Omelet

My solution is, I think, far more common, and definitely much less trouble: Keep the kitchen wastebasket in the cabinet under the sink where the dogs can't get at it. When the wastebasket gets full, empty it into the garbage can in the garage -- where the dogs can't get at it. Once a week, set the garbage cans out at the street for pickup -- where the dogs can't get at it.

Reply to
Doug Miller