Irrigation well iron filters?

I'm looking at putting in a lawn irrigation well. Unfortunately, the two choices appear to be a relatively shallow well at about 50 ft, which runs at least a 50% chance of containing too much iron, or a

500ft well which has only a 5% chance of having an iron problem. In case you're not familiar with the iron issue, it creates brown side walks or staining any place it gets on the house, etc. Looks like the shallow well would be about $4K, while the deep one would be $12-15K.

With the shallow well, one option is a system that either filters out the iron or treats it so that it will not create this problem. I'd be interested in any actual experience others have to share on this, ie what system they have, how much it cost to install, how much it costs to operate, service, how well it works, etc. Also, keep in mind this is an irrigation well, which will need to be capable of 28,000 gallons a week, so I'm not talking about a typical home water system.

TIA

Reply to
trader4

I think you have answered your question. I speak as one who was responsible for ensuring that folk on a public potable supply didn't get iron in their water. Accepting a source that had a high iron content means treatment that costs and is not guaranteed to work consistently. The extra $10k seems the right choice to me.

Reply to
Clot

Just curious, how much would 112000 gal a month cost you with you munical supply now, I might pay 200-250$ a month for that.

Reply to
ransley

Around $700. It's an increasing scale. Anything over 25K gallons is at the max rate of $7 per 1000 gal.

Reply to
trader4

Here its a sliding scale, the more you use the cheaper it gets, but we have Lake Michigan we cant drain. Last year set a record for rainfall, this winter near record snow, and now we are on our way to another record wet season. And Farmers cant plant yet.

Reply to
ransley