Interchangeable batteries for power tools

I have owned my 19.2v power tools for about 10 years and they are still working great. I have gone through several sets of batteries. But the drill and the saw have paid for themselves several times over.

I noticed that most of the power tool industry have gone to a 20v model and w/o a tong on top the sticks in to the tool to make sure you got it started right.

My question is, how many of these batteries from different manufactures are interchangeable ? I was was in Walmart the other day and looked at there store branded cordless tools, what what I noticed is that the slide on batteries looked almost exactly what would fit on a Milwaukee or Craftsman or Dewalt .... Is the power tool industry setting down on a battery standard ? So I can go pick a power tool battery off the shelf and have it fit any brand power tool ? I don't own enough tools to test the interchangeability.

Has anyone tried to use another brands rechargeable battery on there brand of cordless tools ? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank You..

Reply to
Sid 03

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 posted for all of us to digest...

Short answer: maybe. There is a manufacturer of adapters for batteries. DAGS The manufacturers usually make exclusive fitting of their batteries so they can sell more batteries as a profit center.

19.2v = 20v in manufacturers eyes.

Who is the manufacturer of the tools you have?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Craftsman, Its not Dewalt or Milwaukee, but they are still working great 9 years later. I have seen adapters to allow the new 20v Craftsman batteries to clip onto 19.2v power tools, but I was wondering if there was an adapter that allowed any battery to be used.

Reply to
Sid 03

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 16:12:20 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 posted for all of us to digest...

Not that I know of. You would have to search Google. The adapter makers use popularity and work from there. Also look on U Tube I saw somebody doing adapters. Like others have mentioned you can get your existing batteries rebuilt to better than new.

The marketing scheme is to have the user make the choice between paying $79 for batteries or $99 for a new tool with batteries.

Reply to
Tekkie©