Installing grab bars in an acrylic shower

Remember, there are plenty of kids at summer camp, even if you zap one of them, but you only get one mother.

(or these days, up to 5.)

Reply to
mm

Most bigbox grab bars are not on sixteen inch centers. And yes, you need to screw the bar to solid wood like studs. I had a similar need a couple of years ago and found this Really Good solution. Available in sixteen and thirty two inch versions. Even if you let a contractor install it, I definitely recommend the 'extendahand' bar. Many bars are too close to the wall for good leverage. This solves that by folding up and away from the wall.

lee houston

Do it right. Please, try to get at least one end is properly anchored in wood.

Here are some other types of bars to consider

?DDSid=ae0a4c4ce5f2901a3a0472bcac6daa00 If you can't find a stud, don't use some cheap Home Depot anchor, use something made for the purpose

Edwin Pawlowski

Stop relying on chance and don't be tempted. Do it right.

We've all warned you, but you can't give up on your original plan because you thought of it and so you're in love with it. It's all about you, not your mother.

Save your umbrella bolts for hanging a painting or a shelf some day. (Although even a shelf I would put into the studs.)

Not only don't bars have to be horizontal or level, most of the ones I've seen aren't.

Reply to
mm

Good find - thanks!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I wouoldn't have called it foolish. I think you'll get the same reading, and in your shoes even if checked above, I'd check at grab bar level also just to see if the plastic shower wall interferes or not. To know for future situations.

Admittedly the one bar I have direct experience with was outside the tub and probably never got wet, but I think at least with the more expensive bars the included screws are plated well enough. I used the included screws and I think their plating matched the bar. I know they were long, and I drilled my hole one size too small, and it was a bear when I had to remove them when my mother moved.

Reply to
mm

Using a 6d finish nail, drive into the center of the stud above. A string attached to the nail and weight anchored with a nut/nail will get you close on the vertical.

In '95 I bought a house from a builder. I slipped in one day to see the progress. I must have counted 15 16d nails sticking through the shower enclosure. I lived there 10 years and could never see the fixes. I was impressed. My panic was no worry for the builder.:-)

Mom deserves the BEST!!

-- Oren

Oren

Not foolish; but not a thought out DIY job, so he asked....

Sure, studs needs to be checked at handle level. The plumb bob I mentioned is to approximate the stud location behind the enclosure. Sure to get him close.

For the OP.. do not tighten screws so far as to pull the wall of the enclosure and create spider cracks out and away from the screws.

The idea of material from the backside of the wall is also good advice! Solid...

-- Oren

Oren