Planning for Grab Bars in Bathroom Remodelling

In addition to providing anchorage, spacing of fixtures and so on is important. ADA in Google produces sites with this information. TB

Reply to
tbasc

You will need backers in the stud wall. This would require knowing where you want the bars. An easy alternate solution would be to skin the studs with a sheet of wafer board or plywood before installing the green board or wonder board. You will be able to screw them anywhere your little heart desires.

I don't know if this paper is white enough for ya though!

DanG

Just do what I do and add a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood to the back wall. It adds support and will allow you to attach anything in the future

Reply to
HotRod

LOL! I'll top post too:

Do some GOOGLE search, like:

Grab bars can be screwed into existing studs with a little planning. There are also special fasteners, like "Wingits" for between studs.

Jim

DanG wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hello:

Can someone suggest a whitepaper discussion/URL for planning the future installation of safety grab bars within a residential bathroom?

TNX

Reply to
Vince

I don't have a reference to quote, but I believe the 2003 revision to our building code (Ontario, Canada) now requires blocking to be installed around the tub space of at least one bathtub in new construction.

Unfortunately, I don't have the specs for what is considered sufficient blocking.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam