Indirect hot water heater glycol leak

I have a weil mclain ultra plus indirect hot water heater. I noticed there was no hot water and my boiler was off and low on glycol. I added some glycol till the boiler fired up then there was glycol leaking from 3 locations at the threads right at the tank itself at the glycol in, the vent at the top and the hot water out connection? Any ideas what is happening? strange glycol is coming out of all these locations. I checked the manual but it doesnt show but is there a coil in there? Could I have glycol in the water by chance? Any help is much appreciated!

Reply to
joe

How do you know it's all glycol? Could be glycol at some spots, maybe it's just water at others, that you didn't notice before? It it actually leaking at a threaded connection or is it just coming out of the case at those locations? If the latter, could be one leak with fluid spreading inside the case.

IDK how they transfer the heat, but a coil with the water surrounding it sounds like the most efficient way. But that opens up the possibility that if the coil fails, the hot water would have glycol in it. But it's also non-toxic and I almost never use water from my water heater to drink, so it wouldn't be a big issue here, plus it's non-toxic. And if glycol fluid is showing up outside your tank, sounds like the leak is there, not inside it.

Reply to
trader_4