Smelly water from indirect-fired water heater

I have a 6 yeard old Weil-Mclain indirect-fired water heater.

A few weeks ago, I started to notice foul smelling hot water when taking a shower. One plumber told me that the source is bacteria inside the water tank and to clean it is a major project. (He didn't want to do it). Is it really that complicated. I always assumed that since the indirect heaters don't have coils, they can't get contaminated. Can someone advise me on this?

Thanks Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Thunders Jr.

Is this on a well system?

If so, iron bacteria can make foul odors, particularly in heated water.

You'd have to open the piping *somewhere* to add dilute bleach to the section passing thru the boiler for the domestic hot water. You're in a better position to detrmine where/how.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Other than speedy Jims suggestion, replace the zinc anode with an aluminum anode. That will cure the smelly rotten egg smell.

Joey