OT Paper milk cartons

Everyone is acquainted with paper milk cartons, I think.

At the top at one end, under the pitched "roof" it says "To Open" with arrows to the left and right that say Push up Here.
When I was in high school, I would push where it said Push, the middle would split at the ridge, and I would go to the newly opened seam and

22) pull down what was the lower layer, now the outer layer, and voila, I had a spout with which to pour out the milk, even directly into my mouth.

But about 10 years later step 22 above became very hard. The layers were glued together and I coudln't separate them. I had to use a knife!

I was patient in my 20's and I figured they would fix this, get it back the way it was.

Now it's 50 years later and they still don't work right. Why is that?

the video, where an Austrian official demonstrateg how to use their newly-introduced wax/cardboard milk carton.

same video, different comments.

Reply to
micky

A two day training program will get them squared away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Cardboard milk cartons are passe. Up here we buy most of our milk in BAGS

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

Dear Canada: Yes, we lurve you, but this ranks up there with poutine as, well, not so cool...

(And how do you print up "missing kids" photos on plastic bags?)

Reply to
danny burstein

Instead of waiting a week or so for the missing kid to show-up on a milk carton - we all get a disturbing Amber Alert instantly. :-) ps: I'll agree with you about poutine - I've never tried it and don't plan to. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I buy milk in an HDPE jug that holds one U.S. gallon. Once in a while I buy whipping cream in a paper carton that holds half a U.S. pint.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Maybe one day they'll get even more eco-friendly and sell milk in reusable glass bottles with recyclable metal caps. I wonder why nobody ever thought of that.

Reply to
Neill Massello

I've heard that home delivery for groceries is a big new thing . . .

John T.

Reply to
hubops

What's wrong with poutine? And how do you know the bags are plastic? After all, the OEM packaging is a bag with convenient spouts.

rbowman

I'm in udder amazement ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

The cream cartons have a screw on top. (even the store brand)

Reply to
gfretwell

They did but it cost too much. That "milk man" didn't come cheap.

Reply to
gfretwell

You coud leave the milk in a cooler by the door. I think I have an old wooden box clad with galvanized steel with a hinged lid that would would be perfect for that.

Reply to
micky

micky

If you want to be authentic you need the asbestos insulation liner.

Reply to
gfretwell

Breakage. Weight.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Depends on which brand I'm looking at. The small local dairy whose cream I favor has the old-fashioned kind. The big dairies that add carrageenan and other crap use the screw-on cap.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I think he was trying to be funny - as that is what we had well up into the sixties (at least) - but the caps were cardboard - not metal.

Reply to
Clare Snyder