Identify this part?

Hi,

This is a bit of a cross-post from rec.woodworking. I'm trying to identify the BRASS-colored fastener(?) pictured here:

It's to be used as a sort of hinge in a piece of RTA furniture; it holds a door to the frame and is the axis it rotates on. But it looks like its original role might be a shelf pin, or maybe something completely different.

I've already got the silver one figured out and ordered. I'm prepared to fashion a copy of the brass one if I have to, but I'm extremely anal and would love to find it somewhere first. :)

Thanks,

-Lanny Heidbreder

Reply to
75thtrombone

It looks like a shelf pin I have, the shelves have cut curved recesses.

Reply to
m Ransley

Dual butt-plug for your gerbel. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

The hinge function is probably correct.

One end of the pin press fits into a hole in a door, and the other end usually goes through a metal bracket that has a close fitting hole for this pin. It's one way to have a more or less concealed hinge.

hth bill

Reply to
bill allemann

I've seen them before but haven't been able to locate anything similar at my usual suppliers. I'd be tempted, if it were my project, to simply use an appropriately-sized shelf pin and a suitable washer as a replacement since there seems to be nothing special about the pin itself.

There are slightly larger versions sold under the name "Roto Hinge" or somesuch but those are 3/8" diameter and larger and have an actual pivot mechanism built into them -- fine for new projects but not for retrofitting into existing pre-drilled particle board or whatever the RTA is made of.

Reply to
John McGaw

Close:

search press fit locating pins and dowel pins

I would also look here

> Hi,

Reply to
PipeDown