Identify snake?

Can anyone identify this snake?

(104k image)

My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.

Thanks

Reply to
CRNG

Might try this:

Frank

My guess would be a baby corn snake...huge variety in Alabama (if that is where you are?)

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

...very cool site! Thnx!

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

Kinda depend upon where you live but I would call it a rat snake. Be nice to it, they are useful.

Reply to
dadiOH

It's a baby and it's kinda cute.

Reply to
Pete C.

It is not a rat snake. Looks like a hognose to me. They are pretty common around here.

gfretwell

The snout is too rounded for a hognose.

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

If I saw it then it would be a dead snake!

Reply to
badgolferman

I feel that way about spiders, but snakes give me the creeps!

Reply to
badgolferman

You got 75%, Oren :) Coral snakes don't have triangular heads and their pupils are round...kissing cousins to cobras, toxin of both is neurotoxic rather than hemotoxic as in the three vipers you mentioned.

They are shy snakes, like to hide indecaying organic matter like compost piles; when we had a mulch pile,we always kept an eye out when turning it. They are pretty too; unfortunately they look much like king snakes (unfortunate because the kings are mistaken for corals).

Reply to
dadiOH

Not even close.

Reply to
dadiOH

On 09/16/2014 1:21 PM, dadiOH wrote: ...

"Red and yellow, kill a fellow; red and black, friend of Jack"

Reply to
dpb

No poisonous snakes here in Delaware but wife is deathly afraid of them. If I can catch them, I remove them from the property.

Funny, spiders give me the creeps and I kill any that I find in the house. They don't bother my wife.

When I was a kid, I put a small garter snake in an empty bag of M&M's and gave them to another kid that hated snakes. He must have run a block.

Reply to
Frank

CRNG wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Eastern milk snake, I think. Might be corn snake or rat snake, but I think milk snake is more likely.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, the OP is in Alabama. I checked the headers.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:42:07 -0400, Don Wiss wrote in

Sorry, I should have posted location. Yes, I am in Alabama, but my daughter lives near Tampa Bay, which is where the snake was found.

Reply to
CRNG

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:16:54 -0700, Oren wrote in

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on, thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.

Reply to
CRNG

Very likely!

BenDarrenBach

Or more specifically a juvenile Eastern Yellow-bellied Racer. As pictured here: