Surveyor's Drawing

I have a surveyor's map of a property. Never having been trained on these things, I am having trouble understanding the notations. The property is irregularly shaped with many angles around the perimeter. For example, there is a point marked as 109 that corresponds to a known stake. From there, a line is drawn to the next point (110). The line is labelled N. 43^ 31' 00" W. 86.66' (The ^ character is actually a degree symbol).

The 86.66' seems correct for the distance to point 110. The rest seems to be specifying an angle, but how? Relative to North? Relative to the previous segment? I can't come up with anything that makes sense to me. The line is actually aiming roughly 110 degrees from true north (ie, ESE). All of the lines have that same format - an N or S followed by a degrees/minutes/seconds value followed by an E or W and then a distance in feet. Is there someone on this group who is familiar with this type of notation who can give me a hint?

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
Pat

Never mind - I finally found it using Google. What had me tripped up was the point numbers seem to be going is reverse on my drawing. This is from a wikipedia article:

"For example N 38 00 00 E is 38 degrees into the northeast quadrant or

38 degrees east of north. Similarly S 22 00 00 W is 22 degrees west of south."

So mine is 38 and a half degrees west of north or 321.5 degrees. The other end of that line should be pointing 321.5 - 180 = 141.5 degrees. (My estimate of 110 degrees in my original post was way off. North is not up on this particular map so it was easy for me to guess wrong).

Reply to
Pat