Identify generator part

My friend has a Briggs and Stratton Elite generator.

I believe it is a 7500 watt generator.

He is getting me the model number.

It is leaking fuel at the point where the arrow is pointing to.

There is an air filter on the right side of the picture.

The air filter was full of gas.

Can someone identify the metal bowl ?

I am thinking it is a fuel bowl.

Once I know what it is, I can order a replacement gasket.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Float bowl (fuel bowl is close enough for purposes of this discussion)

Air filter should NOT be full of gas and I would concern myself with whether or not the crank case is full of fuel as well.

Has he run the generator lately? Will it fire up? Lots of white smoke, gas, etc. spewing from the exhaust?

B&S has had some problems with their needle/float valves crapping out and sticking open. If that happens, and there is no shutoff on the gas tank (turned to off between uses), the gasoline can drain from the tank through the carburetor and into the crank case. If that happens, you need to repair the valve tip and/or valve seat, drain ALL the oil out of the crankcase (oil thinned out with gasoline is worthless as a lubricant for all but the shortest period of time.)

If you find that this scenario matches the present circumstances. . . Fix the needle valve/seat, change out the oil, and if the generator does not have a shut off valve, get one and install it and use it between generator uses.

Further, it will cost a bit more, but don't use gasoline with ethanol added. If you can find ethanol-free - usually premium grade, use that. I use it exclusively in my lawn and garden equipment and generator. Ethanol sucks the life out of those small engines.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It sounds like B&S is a poorly designed and made generator.

My friend has run the engine for 8.5 hrs,

He should NOT have seen this kind of problem this early.

I am not aware of any gasoline that does not contain ethanol.

I think the govt. mandated all gasoline with ethanol.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

IDK about all, eg aviation gasoline, but I haven't seen any place selling e thanol free gas at the pump in the ny/nj area, that's for sure. There is ca nned ethanol free available which could be fine for a trimmer, but inconven ient and expensive for larger engines.

Reply to
trader_4

B&S is a very well designed generator - I have one and have never had a problem . The OP's friend f***ed up and left eth gas in it to evaporate and leave gunk . Around here almost every station has at the very least non-eth premium gas , and many also sell regular . I'm betting if y'all look at Pure-Gas.org you can find a source for non ethanol fuel for your yard equipment . I currently have 10 gallons of non-eth fuel on hand - stabilized of course - for the yard tractor , log splitter , chainsaws , generator and weed eater . Our motorcycles both run premium non-eth ... If there was a big enough difference in mileage to offset the higher price I'd be running it in my cars too .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Open your eyes, Lefty! ;-)

Trumpster

[snip]

Engine! No indication the generator is defective.

Agreed, but if he left the engine filled with gas and didn't run it dry, the ethanol could still be culprit.

Generally correct, but some states - Wisconsin being one - allow for ethanol free fuel in the premium grade. I'm close to the state line and it's no biggie for me to go fill up a couple of Jerry cans I keep up to

40 gallons on premises for the lawn mower and generator. I can even find it in several rural towns here in Illinois but wouldn't be driving that far to get it there.

For 2 cycle engine - typically lower full consumption in total - they make an excellent pre-mixed fuel which has the proper proportion of

2-cycle oil added and uses high octane non-ethanol gas. It will remain stable two years after opening. Pricey on its face but not when you consider the service calls it saves. So long as I'm getting the premium fuel w/o ethanol, I make up my own 2 cycle fuel.

For ethanol-free fuel near you (or near anyone else), check out this site:

Unquestionably Confused

[snip]

As mentioned by me and Terry, check out

NJ is pretty much a vast wasteland for ethanol-free fuel, but NY seems to have quite a few places where it's available. Again, the BIG problem is not so much using the ethanol laced fuel, it's LEAVING IT SIT IN THE CARBURETOR and that pretty much goes for ANY fuel. If the equipment won't be used for a couple of weeks, shut off the fuel while it's running and run it dry.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

ng ethanol free gas at the pump in the ny/nj area, that's for sure.

That list has 5 places in the entire state of NJ that sell ethanol free. A nd there may be other barriers too, one is an airport, another "marine" in the name, so they may not sell to walk up customers with a 5 gallon can. Al l of them are a multi hour trip from where I live, they are in rural areas, not where most of the population is.

And I'm not a lefty either, I'm a conservative with principles who knows a fake, phony, incompetent fraud when he sees one. BTW, is it conservative n ow to ignore Russian aggression and admire Putin?

Reply to
trader_4

It IS the carburetor float bowl, but the gasket is unlikely yo be the problem. The float valve is leaking. Take it to a reputable small engine shop and have it repaired. Then use ONLY ethanol free fuel, and turn off the fuel or drain the tankwhen not in use.

Reply to
clare

It's not the 8.5 hours of running, it's the months of sitting - Not sure where you are but ethanol free fuel is generally available at any marina.The ethanol mandate just states, generally, that x% of all fuel sold in the state/province/area/whatever consist of ethanol. How the fuel company arrives at that target is up to them . MANY companies put 10% ethanol in all of their refular fuel and none in thei premium. In a "mixer" pump, that means all mid grade fuel is 5% ethanol. The small percentage of total fuel sales comprised of premium fuel allows them to easily meet or excede their ethanol quota. Here in Canada, Shell premium fuel, for one, has NO ethanol

Reply to
clare

Where do you live. In google maps, I found Snagtown, Snagton, Snagville, Snagberg, and Snagopolis-St.Paul, but there all in different states, so I don't know which one is you.

Reply to
micky

Interesting. There are 47 listed for Md. which is smaller than NJ.

11 of those are marinas but one of those is a marina and pub. 5 more probably are.

One is a Wa-Wa.

Three are Shell stations.

Three of which I drive by once in a while. Suburbs of Baltimore. No boats in sight, They sell it in quarts, gallons, and 5-gallon sizes.

Isn't "lefty" meant to insult liberals? Always looking for a fight?

Even people without principles don't want to be cheated.

Are you saying it doesn't make lawnmowers etc. last longer?

Yes. See Ronald Reagan's later remarks. Although he was on his death bed and only Rump was there to hear him.

Reply to
micky

lling ethanol free gas at the pump in the ny/nj area, that's for sure.

" in the name,

em are a multi hour trip from where I live, they are in rural areas, not wh ere most of the population is.

Always incapable of following a discussion? I didn't bring "lefty" into it, the poster I responded to did that.

Reagan didn't make any remarks about Putin, his rise to power was long afte r Reagan stopped making comments about anything. Reagan's experience with Russia ended with Gorbachev and the early years of Yeltsin, ending in the e arly 90s. That was an entirely different Russia from what we have today. Do n't you libs know any history?

Although he was on his death

Have you stopped talking your medication again?

Reply to
trader_4

I didn't read that one (It's a compliment to you that I started with yours.) My apology.

Yes, I know. I think everyone on Usenet knows.

Incapable of discerning sarcasm?

Reply to
micky