Icon of the Seas

Largest cruise ship is starting on its first tour. This thing can hold

7000 passengers.

I don't get it. When i want to go on a vacation, I want a nice quiet pace, not hop on a boat with 7,000 people

Ed P

I really wouldn't want to do that either. I don't like being around large groups. I have some sensitivity to emotions, and that would be a big mess.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Lot of people like them but wife and I have never wanted to go on a cruise either.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yup. I've never had any desire to cruise. My wife had opportunity and occasion to go on an Alaska cruise a few years ago - she doesn't regret going - for the 1-time experience - but it wasn't anything she'd ever do again. Her ship was ~ average sized ? 3000 people-ish and they would pull into these little tourist ports of 2000 population < IF maybe > .. these little ports would see several big tour ships every friggin' day ... geeeze. Louise .. Nope. I pass. There _are_ wee small cruise ships operating -

- which seem quite nice - but the price is as-you'd-expect. John T.

Reply to
hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote on 1/28/2024 7:08 PM:

Antarctic cruise is a favourite bucket list item. Magnificent icebergs and penguins abound.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

about as big as I would like with 2666 passengers. I like 1800 ro 2400 a lot better - ships that can get into smaller harbours where you don't need to tender in. Big enough to be pretty stable and have good ameneties but not a floating city (more a floating village) Small enough you can meet people and then meet up with them from time to time over the duration of the trip.Still good friends with a couple we met back in 2012 on a Costa ship in the western Mediteranean (where we were 4 of about 8 english speaking passengers out of 1200? onboard) We enjoy travelling to different places while stayng in the same hotel room. Really great for my wife. I and my eldest daughter will be doing the "off the beaten path" holiday this summer on a small group safari tour of central Africa (Zambia. Zimbabwe and Botswana) where we will often not see another vehicle or group for a day or two at a time.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No thanks, I saw Titanic. You think OceanGate will ever have trips to Icon of the Seas?

Reply to
Ben Verified - ✅

A son's in-laws were headed to Alaska from the east coast through the Panama canal and off the coast of California the FIL got ill and was airlifted to San Diego. He recovered but had to fly back here accompanied by a nurse. Son was pissed because doctor had told him not to travel.

I saw one of those huge cruise ships off Santa Catalina Island but do not know how many visited the area but it is not that big.

Another son is dating a woman in real estate that gets numerous free cruises and he has been on many with her. Two just this year.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Not necessarily. Have you checked out Grand Circle river cruises and their subsidiary company Oversea Adventure Travel? River cruise ships from all companies are much smaller than the typical ocean cruise ships due to limitations in draft and other dimensions. Many river cruises involve passing through canal locks which certainly limit the size of the ship.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Every time I hear about a neighbor getting back from a cruise, it is because they caught covid on the cruise.

Reply to
Bob F

5600 pax and 2350 crew.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Crew is still a passenger, they don't go home after the shift.

Reply to
Ed P

No, it's like the difference between a Carnie and a Mark.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Riuver cruises are significantly more expensive than ocean cruises (due in part to splitting the operationg costs over many fewer passengers) but also incluse many of the "shore excursions" as standard. You also SEE a lot more stuff, and a lot less SEA. Have not done a river cruise, but low later levels in many European rivers last year meant a lot of them were seriously curtailed and many passengers ended up travelling much of the tour by bus.

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

I would like to see those. Just not with thousands (or even hundreds) of people.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

How about icebergs, puffins, and whales :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote on 1/29/2024 5:00 PM:

Personally I think whales are a sad sight to see. Whales are so badly infested with barnacles that they resemble gigantic stray dogs with mange. I feel sorry for them.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Mark Lloyd wrote on 1/29/2024 4:53 PM:

I imagine smaller vessels would cost more per person, and you might get seasick in rough sea in a small cruise ship.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Sad tp see you speak negatively about river cruises without ever having taken one. Our experience is: about 4 small ship tours not in rivers, e.g. along the Adriatic coast, Aegean islands of Greece, coastal Alakska among others, about 6 river cruises including entire Danube, Rhine, Rhone, Alsatian canals, and multiple open ocean cruises, including several from UK along north and western coast of France, trans-Atlantic from U.S. to either UK or France, round trip, all parts of the Caribbean. New Jersey to Bermuda and several in the Med, among others, on vessels ranging from a 24 passenger canal barge, multiple 50 passenger river cruise vessels, small ocean liners (850 passengers) through a middle sized more modern ocean vessel (2,600 passengers).

Both my wife and I feel exactly the opposite of you. We've seen much more on trips involving the smaller ships with much less "at-sea" time and had a much more enjoyable time than on the larger vessels. Food was better, easier to meet people, better escorted shore excursions with better guides, more interesting on-board activities. No attempt to replicate a Las Vegas atmosphere and no wasted time on lectures about which shops on shore offer the best prices on which merchandise. Also, we've found, after about 4 decades of cruises, that the average daily cost of the smaller ships was either the same or cheaper than the large ones. And much, much less, as in NO constant crowds, and crowd noise on board. Also, no pre-adolescent spoiled brats on board and only rarely teenagers who in our experience were very well behaved.

To each his/her own. But I don't understand how you can be so opinionated against small ship/river crises without ever having experienced any.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Varies from person to person. I can't speak for myself because I'm not susceptible to sea sickness even in extremely rough conditions. However, my wife used to be and she had a much more difficult time on the large vessels even with dynamic stabilization. The slooow pitching and rolling got to her where as the faster ship motions created balance problems but no sea sickness. Over the years she acclimated and now is as resistant to motion sicked as I've always been.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt