How to fix at least some clogged toilets

My toilet was clogged. I promise you, all I put in it was TP and little bits of me. But clogged nonetheless.

But I was going away for a month, so I figured it would all dissolve long before the month was over.

No luck.

So I used the rubber plunger. Quite a few times. No luck.

So I googled. It suggested hot water and a cup, or a half cup of soap. liquid soap I guess. Didn't have that so I used some dollar store shampoo. Then I found something called Greased Lightning, a gallon of it, under the sink. I never bought that. They maid that I had just once must have gotten mixed up and hidden it there like she hid everything else in the kitchen. Added 8 to 16 ounces of that. More a degreaser than a soap, but surely those are just about the same.

I boiled water, almost a gallon I think, on the stove and carried it up the stairs in an open 2-handled pot. Didn't spill it, whew. Poured it in.

Waited 25 minutes. Worse than before. Used to fill and empty in 2 minutes. Now takes 4. Fortunately the clever designers made the toilet tank smaller than the toilet bowl, so it never overflows (if you wait between tries until the bowl is empty.)

Someone else recommens the accordian style plunger. Going to send in an Amazon order tonight anyhow. Only $12 iirc.

But what about, what do you call it that reams out a drain? Router? No. Anyhow, I have a cheap little one, under the sink. Can't find it. Plus it would be okay for a drain pipe but woudn't it scratch the porcelain inside a toilet?

What about the basement. Find this strange hose that I think I removed from a washing machine I was scrapping, an internal hose. A little over an inch in diameter at the ends. Couldn't get it into the toilet. That channel is smaller than I imagined.

Look some more. Rubber fuel line, pretty stiff, a little over a half inch in diameter (I'll make measurements if anyone wants.)

It took 5 seconds and very little effort to push the hose and clear the drain.

I'm glad I didn't buy another plunger.

Reply to
micky