ice cube madness

I agree. Used to be able to buy 4lb of shrimp in blocks of ice. It would keep almost forever and taste nearly fresh upon melting. These newer packaging methods using flash freezing are already somewhat mummified right out of the market. Nowhere near the moisture and freshness. This also works for fish you catch yourself. Put in topless milk cartons full of water and freeze. The meat retains it's firmness and moisture. I never tried this with other than fish or seafood. I'm not sure it would work too well with herd animal flesh. Maybe.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Good for you. I can't imagine life without an ice maker, especially after having kids that never filled the trays. I'm willing to pay for modern conveniences.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You've gotten some good answers. I asked a while back why a glass filled with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't drink any of the water :) I can't for the life of me remember the answer and am too lazy to Google for it. It just seemed a curious thing to me.

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

And the answer is that because ice is less dense than water, the volume of the ice when it melts (into water) becomes exactly equal to the volume under the waterline of the icecubes. This is in fact the discovery that Archimedes made a few years back.

PD

Reply to
PD

Had a home for sale with a ice maker that sat vacant for several months, a idiot home inspector wrote up mal formed ice cubes from maker, because they had sublimiated away. true what was left of the cubes looked wierd.

the deal fell thru buyer said your home has too many troubles.

Reply to
hallerb

I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something seems to have displaced that knowledge.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There is a similar question about a boat full of iron ore sinking in a canal lock. The water level does not change because floating objects displace water equivalent to their weight.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Googling is less work that posting and reading a replies... so I don't buy your excuse, Jill.

Reply to
Sam Wormley

Do you suppose it's due to too many baths?

gloria p

Reply to
Puester

True, but beyond that, most things expand as they melt.

Ice is one of the few solids that is less dense in solid form than liquid form.

And that's a good thing, otherwise, lakes and oceans would freeze from the bottom up.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Most thing shrink when frozen. Water expands when it freezes and can exert a lot of pressure. Thusly, when ice melts the volume decreases.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yea that's true

Guess I haven't used ice trays for a while, I was thinking of making some juice or maybe root beer cubes when it gets warmer though.

Reply to
monkey_cartman

Some of the apartments I lived in was opposite the case, you had to defrost about every three months

Reminds me spring time is a good time to pull out and defurr the the fridge.

Reply to
monkey_cartman

When I had roommates, it used to annoy me how they would fail to fill up the ice cube trays after they used ice.

Eventually I got down to no roommates, but still they came in and used my ice.

Eventually I figured out that the ice was sublimating, going from solid to gas without passing through a liquid state. It happens whenever there is air above the ice, and if you don't use your ice for weeks or months like me, it's very noticeable.

They make some ice-cube trays that are bottles with caps. I tried one and it worked but the cubes were little balls, and too small.

Reply to
mm

That's a good thing to think about.

We get roadside roasted green chile every fall and there ends up being lots of great liquid. Twist the top making an ice seal by having wet hands when you twist it closed and a year later it still will have that great fresh roasted green chile flavor.

Reply to
monkey_cartman

re: Most thing shrink when frozen

Which is why I avoid nude beaches when the water's cold.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
-

- - I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something seems to have displaced that knowledge.

- Do you suppose it's due to too many baths?

-

- gloria p

Or from getting crowned...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't very practical for me, Any ideas for freezing fish to last at least a month?

Reply to
monkey_cartman

Vacuum sealer

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Very much good answers, it's nice to see people sharing their ideas and knowledge.

As far as the ice water thing goes, I seem to remember some science show explain it some years back.

Reply to
monkey_cartman