I want my own plane

I think the last time I flew in a 747 was in the early 70's. I've only flown infrequently since then and it's been in sardine cans with wings.

I wonder how many of the original planes are still in service? Considering the last B-52 rolled off the line in 1962 I don't imagine

747's get early retirement either. I can picture a gutted out 747 hauling freight for Amazon thinking about its glory days...
Reply to
rbowman

That seems like a good idea. It's such a waste, even with cheap champagne. No matter how cheap it is, if it's good enough to make, it must be good enough for someone to drink. Plus they get broken glass all over when they break a bottle. (I guess when it's a ship it goes to the bottom of the water (or the drydock?) but for a plane, you have to clean it up.

That's not encouraging. Probably needed antifreeze.

Reply to
micky

Quite a few.

Its very different with commercial aircraft that have an obvious alternative that is much more fuel efficient.

The military doesn’t have to care about fuel efficiency.

Fraid not, because of the poor fuel efficiency.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There are freight airlines using 747s.

Aside from the numerous 747-400 cargo and charter operators, the following operators all fly the 747-8F and, so, will likely continue flying it for a couple more decades:

UPS (14) AirBridgeCargo (7) Silk Way Airlines (5) Saudi Cargo (5) Korean Air Cargo (7) (in addition to the 10 747-8Is operated by Korean Air) Cathay Pacific Cargo (14) Volga-Dnepr Airlines (5) Atlas Air (10) Nippon Cargo Airlines (8) Cargolux (14)

Additionally, 8 747-8Is are being operated as business jets or VIP jets, not counting the 2 recently purchased by the U.S. Air Force for use as the next Air Force One fleet. If the past is any indication, the Air Force One 747-8s will likely still be in regular service (though technically not commercial service) even longer than most of the other recent 747 deliveries, due to the relatively low number of flight cycles that they get. They could possibly remain in service 30 years from now or more. For comparison, the current Air Force One fleet is composed of modified 747-200s, which have long been retired from airline service.

More at the URL above.

Reply to
micky

My last flights were in the late 80s or early 90s on United and People's Express. PE was one of the new low cost carriers that wasn't around too long. That flight was mostly empty, I had a whole section to myself, Newark to San Francisco. It was a night flight, pouring rain and there was a lift truck working on one engine, flight delayed for hours. I was at the bar, getting drunk, so I wouldn't worry about the engine blowing up.

I just thought of something related. Boeing is building two more 747s to replace the AF1s. Supposedly one problem with the old ones is that they can no longer get parts. But what about parts for the new ones? I'm sure parts will be more available for these than the older models, but still, they are buying into a plane that is all but discontinued at this point. So, I would think replacement part availability for those could become an issue a decade or so out.

Reply to
trader_4

Actually they do get retired early due to high operating cost, eg fuel and maintenance. Commercial operators have cost issues. The govt, not so much.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, but far more using far more fuel efficient planes now.

Sure, but those don't care about fuel efficiency.

Ditto.

And that's the reason they don't care about fuel efficiency.

Because they don't give a damn about fuel efficiency.

Reply to
Rod Speed

First part of his working carreer was in network support. He then became a production welder. He has a family history of arthritis.

None of it is aviation related. He has not been engaged in competetive sports but has yet to realize his personal limitations - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

We chose to buy the ribs - you can see them in one of the pictures. Another friend made all of his. They are aluminum blanks hammered over an MDF buck, with lightening holes cut in with a router and flanged with a flanging punch.

EVERYTHING else started as flat sheet aluminum and straight chrome-moly tube.

Reply to
Clare Snyder