I want my own plane

It's too late to do this but if you'd been on your toes Oct. and NOv. of 2017, you could have had some essential and other parts of a United 747.
https://www.flyingmag.com/united-airlines-auctioning-off-boeing-747-memorabilia
It normally costs about 100 dollars an hour to sit in a 747 seat, but you could sit for as long as you wanted for a fixed price, if you'd been on your toes. (Of course it's hard to sit when you're on your toes, but that's your problem.)
Other things you could have had: Rudder Trim Indicator Standby Airspeed Indicator N182UA - Tail Number Cut N171UA - Tail Number Cut Forward facing American flag cut-out Rear facing American flag cut-out Brake Pressure Indicator 747-400 Aluminum Cut-out Ram Air Inlet Oxygen Pressure Indicator Standby Attitude Indicator Standby Altimeter
Additionally, triple passenger and double passenger seats are available through a “buy it now” option, while a livery panel and single window cut have already been sold.
What is a livery panel?** The window would have been nice, easy to incorporate in your house or Winnebago.
**Oh, https://www.exclusives.mileageplus.com/Listing/Details/4455751/Take-home-a-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-Boeing-747400-aircraft https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/Listing/Details/5765504/Own-a-piece-of-the-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-famed-Boeing-747400
It strikes me as the thing I would want least.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-aircraft-livery-design/index.html The first 5 are the best.
On 1/6/2019 1:44 AM, micky wrote:

No way would I want a seat. Who would actually want to sit in a narrow uncomfortable seat? I'd take a pilots seat maybe, if it came with all the cockpit controls. I've always wanted to sit in the front of a 747 on a take off and a landing. Biggest I ever flew was a twin Beechcraft.
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 11:22:47 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

.
orabilia

single window

e-a-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-Boeing-747400-aircraft

of-the-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-famed-Boeing-747400

ml

Some of the airlines had and I think some still do, deals where you could buy simulator time. United I think, you could trade airline miles. Not the real thing, but on the other hand you get to fly the simulator.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 08:48:44 -0800 (PST), trader_4

I think the selection of things they are selling is a bit strange. The *standby* alttimeter, *standby* attitude indicator. What about the primary one, or the first class passenger seats, or pilots' seats. It's hard for me to believe their premium customers gobbled that stuff up already. If I were a multi-millionaire, I'd probably already have a comforatable chair and I don't think I'd want left over airplane parts in my home.

They asked one of the early astronauts what the Mercury or Gemini flight was like and he said, word-for-word: "It was similar to the simulator."

I think they are selling the coach seats to the S&M people. Strap your victim in a middle seat between 2 fat people and they will be begging for mercy in a few minutes. That is why I won't fly back there.
The newer planes do have some nice seats up front on international jets.
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 12:12:17 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

of

7.

morabilia

en

ut

d single window

me-a-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-Boeing-747400-aircraft

-of-the-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-famed-Boeing-747400

tml

The last 747 flown by a domestic airline ended about a year ago. There are still foreign airlines operating them. I see them going into JFK on Flightradar, but not so many. A lot of A380s, I'm surprised how many into JFK. But Airbus is having big trouble with sales of those. Looks like Boeing was right in not pursuing that market. Most of them are Mideast airlines and even they are cutting back on new orders.
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 10:30:03 -0800 (PST), trader_4

The last time I was on a 747 was in 1974. They had a piano bar in back and the stews wore mini skirts and white boots. It was the red eye from IAD to SFO and there were only about 30 people on the plane. The people who wanted to sleep were moved up into the 2d deck 1st class and the rest of us were drinking free drinks by the piano bar. I was shitfaced by the time I got to SFO.

Those were the days... I flew Northwest a lot and they didn't mess around with those silly little nips. There were real bottles of booze in the galley and they poured real drinks. The bottles had sleeves over the labels but it didn't taste like bottom shelf crap.

The original 747s are much older than that
"On January 15, 1970, First Lady of the United States Pat Nixon christened Pan Am's first 747, at Dulles International Airport (later Washington Dulles International Airport) in the presence of Pan Am chairman Najeeb Halaby. Instead of champagne, red, white, and blue water was sprayed on the aircraft. The 747 entered service on January 22, 1970, on Pan Am's New York–London route;[66] the flight had been planned for the evening of January 21, but engine overheating made the original aircraft unusable. Finding a substitute delayed the flight by more than six hours to the following day when Clipper Victor was used.[2]"
From Wikipedia

I think the last time I flew in a 747 was in the early 70's. I've only flown infrequently since then and it's been in sardine cans with wings.
I wonder how many of the original planes are still in service? Considering the last B-52 rolled off the line in 1962 I don't imagine 747's get early retirement either. I can picture a gutted out 747 hauling freight for Amazon thinking about its glory days...

Quite a few.

Its very different with commercial aircraft that have an obvious alternative that is much more fuel efficient.
The military doesn’t have to care about fuel efficiency.

Fraid not, because of the poor fuel efficiency.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 20:04:43 +1100, "Rod Speed"

There are freight airlines using 747s.
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/47380/are-there-any-boeing-747-still-flying-for-commercial-use
Aside from the numerous 747-400 cargo and charter operators, the following operators all fly the 747-8F and, so, will likely continue flying it for a couple more decades:
UPS (14) AirBridgeCargo (7) Silk Way Airlines (5) Saudi Cargo (5) Korean Air Cargo (7) (in addition to the 10 747-8Is operated by Korean Air) Cathay Pacific Cargo (14) Volga-Dnepr Airlines (5) Atlas Air (10) Nippon Cargo Airlines (8) Cargolux (14)
Additionally, 8 747-8Is are being operated as business jets or VIP jets, not counting the 2 recently purchased by the U.S. Air Force for use as the next Air Force One fleet. If the past is any indication, the Air Force One 747-8s will likely still be in regular service (though technically not commercial service) even longer than most of the other recent 747 deliveries, due to the relatively low number of flight cycles that they get. They could possibly remain in service 30 years from now or more. For comparison, the current Air Force One fleet is composed of modified 747-200s, which have long been retired from airline service.
More at the URL above.

Yes, but far more using far more fuel efficient planes now.

Sure, but those don't care about fuel efficiency.

Ditto.

And that's the reason they don't care about fuel efficiency.

Because they don't give a damn about fuel efficiency.

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 1:26:57 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

Actually they do get retired early due to high operating cost, eg fuel and maintenance. Commercial operators have cost issues. The govt, not so much.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 06 Jan 2019 22:53:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That seems like a good idea. It's such a waste, even with cheap champagne. No matter how cheap it is, if it's good enough to make, it must be good enough for someone to drink. Plus they get broken glass all over when they break a bottle. (I guess when it's a ship it goes to the bottom of the water (or the drydock?) but for a plane, you have to clean it up.

That's not encouraging. Probably needed antifreeze.

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 7:34:07 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

v. of

747.

-memorabilia

ut

been

, but

able

and single window

-home-a-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-Boeing-747400-aircraft

ece-of-the-livery-panel-from-Uniteds-famed-Boeing-747400

x.html

ow

7

ft.

My last flights were in the late 80s or early 90s on United and People's Express. PE was one of the new low cost carriers that wasn't around too long. That flight was mostly empty, I had a whole section to myself, Newark to San Francisco. It was a night flight, pouring rain and there was a lift truck working on one engine, flight delayed for hours. I was at the bar, getting drunk, so I wouldn't worry about the engine blowing up.
I just thought of something related. Boeing is building two more 747s to replace the AF1s. Supposedly one problem with the old ones is that they can no longer get parts. But what about parts for the new ones? I'm sure parts will be more available for these than the older models, but still, they are buying into a plane that is all but discontinued at this point. So, I would think replacement part availability for those could become an issue a decade or so out.

Since fat slobs overflow their own seat space on both sides, they should be charged for three seats.
On 1/6/19 2:02 PM, Roger Wilco wrote:

I've noticed fat people can't put their arms down. Their arms come out of their shoulders at a 45 degree angle and overhang the armrest by about 6 inches.
TSA should arrest them, put them in a crate and ship via Cargolux.
On 01/05/2019 11:44 PM, micky wrote:

Being a.h.r I was going to suggest Ace Hardware has a decent selection of planes but this was micky...

I'm 18 years into making the dream come true - a Pegazair 100.