I love the way Home Depot sucks!

Nicely done.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

And he's already told us which he is.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That's why no one said you committed "premeditated stealing".

But you knew that most likely the cashier had made a mistake. If someone misspoke and told you burn down his house, or to push him into traffic, or in front of a train, would you do it?

But you knew that most likely the cashier had made a mistake.

But you knew that most likely the cashier had made a mistake.

No one said anything about his own level of honesty**. You're offering a red herring to change the topic.

**(except one person who said he did something similar and agreed that he flunked the test)

I suspect that many of those who criticized you let such things happen when they were much younger, or maybe just younger, but they've realized it is wrong and they wouldn't do it again. Parents usually teach their children not to steal, but unless a situation like this comes up when both the parent and child are present, the child doesn't have to watch the parent make up his mind what to do, and the parent can easily forget to talk some other time about every one of the situations that don't fit the prototypes, like shoplifting, purse snatching, burglary, etc.

So if the child didn't see a parent deal with this situation, and if the parents and the religious teachers didn't talk about it, and if no public school teacher or friend set a good example, or even a stranger that one might be standing next to while he paid a cashier, it's possible for someone not to know.

But now you know what everyone here except one person thinks about this. Maybe if you have time to think about it some more, a few days or weeks or months, you agree with the rest of us.

Reply to
mm

My thinking exactly. All the armchair quaterbacking that's going on here bears little resemblance to what the great majority of these same people would do when they actually see the little register lights with a price mistake in their favor.

The lesson to be learned is, as much as it's tempting to brag a little about your "good fortune," keep these kinds of things quiet between you and your wife.

Reply to
Abe

I forgot to say, except for Ed, as I know him to be a true goody goody.

Reply to
Abe

And never made the claim to be anything other than what I am. Unlike people here who have never cheated or taken a discount for a mistake.

There was one man like that, but he died a very long time ago.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

So for all of $39 you became a thief?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You have to get over the idea that it matters how honest the people criticizing you are. This is about you and how others act doesn't matter.

Are you claiming that no one who has ever done the same thing can criticize someone else for doing somethings wrong, whether it is illegal, immoral, unsafe, unhealthy, or unkind?

Because it's not true. Sometimes they are in the best position to know what is wrong.

In a few cases, there is no one else present to say what is wrong except people who have done it. Are you saying they shouldn't say anything? Someone has to speak up.

It's also nonsense when people say that if the parents when teenagers or 20's used drugs, committed vandalism, etc. they can't tell their children not to do those same things. Of course they can, if they now think that their kids shouldn't do drugs or commit vandalism. Do people who were vandals have to raise children who think there is nothing wrong with vandalism? Of course not. If that were the case, the world would get worse and worse and never and nowhere would it get better.

Back to the original topic, if people have gotten money the way you describe or outright stolen, if they've done it and don't tell people, that probably means they are ashamed, and if they haven't stopped already, being ashamed is the first step towards stopping.

What makes your case worth criticism is that you are talking about it. You weren't ashamed at all. And talking about it is worse than the original act. When you take 61 dollars that wasn't meant for you, it's a straight 61 dollars. But when you talk about it in public, you encourage who knows how many people to do the same sort of thing. So the transgression multiplies by a factor of 4 or 10 or 100. And if they see you talking, they may talk about it themselves after they do it, or even if they don't do it and only you announced that you did. So that spreads the encouragement to everyone those 4 or 10 or 100 talk to.

If one is going to do things like this, he should be ashamed of it and not tell anyone, because hearing that someone else did some thing like this makes other people jealous, of the money, and they'll want to do the same thing. It mitigates the instruction their parents or their religious teachers may have given them not to do such things.

So get off your high horse, that you imagine you are one, complaining, and learn to keep your less than right things to yourself.

I'll give you credit for not using the word hypocrite, which most people use where it doesn't apply. A person would only be a hypocrite if he, for example, acted like he had never stolen anything when he had, or acted like he didn't now when he still did.

But no one here said how honest they were, and no one was a hypocrite even if some are dishonest.

Reply to
mm

I hear people piss and moan all day every day here about Home Depot, Lowe's, and the other borgs. The reaction I got was not what I expected.

I guess people who have gotten things by mistake just haven't weighed in yet, or cared to take the time to write about their own experience.

All I've heard from are the hypocrites.

I got something at a break from a company that would have and has taken advantage of me on many previous occasions. I do not feel guilty. They f***ed up big time on two sets of double doors once. As I see it, they still owe me money.

As for all the bleeding heart liberal hypocrites, preach to someone who might either buy what they're selling, or at least be interested. I'm not.

I can live with what happened. I'm an adult. I'll cope.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Is your name "Honest" Abe? I think not.

Reply to
Chuck B.

Yes, you did.

And you *knew* they made a mistake.

Reply to
Doug Miller

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:58:26 -0700, "Steve B" wrote Re Re: I love the way Home Depot sucks!:

Steve is just bitter because his neighbor is pumping up his wife and he can't get any.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

rel=nofollow>

Multiplayer Online Games</a>

<a

rel=nofollow>

Strategy Games</a><br><a

rel=nofollow>

Unification Wars</a> - <a

Reply to
DragonKnight

I remember many times from my childhood when my Dad corrected a cashier's error or even went back to pay for something that was missed. He would also say things like "ethics are what you do when nobody's watching."

Your ethic is pretty clear here. Why not just go through the self-check or put items in your pockets?

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

The world runs because thankfully, most people would have, had they caught it, returned the money.

Sure, screw the despot.

What do you think the REAL result of your ethical failure was?

That cashier probably lost her job. What do you suppose the effects of that were? Maybe nothing. Maybe it cost her her apartment, her sobriety her marriage.

Would that be your fault?

Hell no.

But you didn't help.

80 bucks you didn't need, versus helping.

Nice choice

Am I ehtically perfect?

No

Reply to
yourname

I did the same thing one time at a bank, but it was for $100. I knew the teller would have to pay the shortage, and I didn't take the money. I've done it many other times when cashiers have given me too much change. It seems that no one can make or count change today. They just hand it back to you in a wad.

In this case, the cashier's till was right at the end of the day.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't put things in my pockets. I just go to a cashier and pay what they tell me.

It's easy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Her till balanced at the end of the day if she hadn't made any other mistakes.

Her sobriety?

What the hell does that mean?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The biggest rule about breaking the rules is:

"When you break the rules, never, ever tell ANYONE about it."

People who brag about their exploits usually get caught.

Reply to
Andrew

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 07:31:54 -0700, "Steve B" wrote Re Re: I love the way Home Depot sucks!:

It means you are a scum bag who is too stupid to see what an ass you are making of yourself. OTOH, it is entertaining to watch you try to back-track.

Reply to
Caesar Romano