I hate to borrow tools

I hate to borrow tools or loan them out, I won't loan a power tool to anyone, because no one takes care of your tools like you do.

I never ask to borrow because it would be my luck it will break on me.

I also believe that if your going to do a job around the house rent or buy what you need to do a job.

Things like a wrench or non power ok.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Tom, I'm with you. I also worry about liability. I lent a neighbor an extension ladder and he managed to fall off. I no longer want to lend anything. If you have an emergency, I will come over and try to help. Otherwise go to your friendly rental outlet.

I once worked with guy who was planning to open a rental shop and asked if I was interested in working there. The whole deal came apart when he found out about the expense and difficulty in obtaining adequate liability insurance.

"And you want me to let you use the tools I paid for so you can hurt yourself. I don't think so. Buy your own stuff."

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

One slight variation on this is the "planned" shared tool. On my Dad's block many years ago about ten people went in on buying an extension ladder. It worked out reasonably well for a long time. These were neighbors who knew each other pretty well and very rarely needed that ladder so it made sense.

I agree generally about tools though. I treat my own tools pretty well, but with a loaner I really feel like I shouldn't even scratch it. Having said that, I've got a lot of molding to put up and my brother-in-law has a nailer...

Decisions, decisions.

Greg Guarino

Yeah, and we treat our OWN tools pretty crappy so we can just imagine how others will! Interesting how you were able to share that ladder. ares

Reply to
ares

Can I borrow your torque wrench? Mabe a cant hook and splitting axe too? :)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Ditto, except for a very few trusted friends.

I have two rules. I don't loan heirlooms and I won't loan tools to you so you can help or loan to someone I don't even know.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Well said.

If you want to borrow my chain saw, you get me along with it . No option.

I'm always ready to lend a helping hand, never a tool.

Reply to
Avery

I rarely loan out tools too, but the one exception in my neighbor, he can borrow anything he wants. This guy is so anal he takes great care of everything. He once borrowed a tool from me that was old and well used, he broke and replaced it with a new tool without even asking me. I told him it was not necessary as the tool was old, but he was determined to replace it.

One week end he planned to pull the engine from his pickup to put in a clutch. I offered him my shop as I was going out of town any way and I would not be working in the shop over the weekend. He hesitated, I told him to don't worry about it and gave him the key. Sunday when I got home the shop was spotless, all the tools were put away where they belonged and he even scrubbed the floor. It was cleaner than when I left! Now if I could get him to come over more often!

I would probably let him use my wife if he wanted too, she probably would come back in better shape! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

My neighbor is a Snap-On tool distributor, two big trucks and a two car garage full of tools, tools, tools...

Must resist borrowing tools, must resist borrowing tools, must resist borrowing tools

David djonesLSidaho.com

DJ

Always a friend, Never borrow, Never lend.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have friend that I have known since grade school................we actually buy tools together at times, even if niether of us needs it. We both figure we will eventually and buy things that will be useful as we work on things together. This works out well for us, and I suspect, unless one of us moves to a foreign country, this will remain a great arrangement and friendship.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®