Hurricane protection for new home? Garage door?

I had enough of the hurricanes and the hypes by the TV news. I had enough of double digit increases in hurricane insurance. I had enough of not having power for a week at a time and I definitely had enough of the politicians in Florida not giving a damn. I was fortunate enough to sell my house on June

5th and I now live in a safe area, Asheville North Carolina.
Reply to
jerryl
[snip]

I don't think that's accurate. Homeowners should look at their survey or check with their county building office, which can tell you precisely what flood zone you are in. You and your next door neighbor may not even be in the same flood zone if one of the two houses is built on a higher pad -- and the amount of your flood insurance premium will depend upon your precise flood zone. My one acre lakefront lot is charged a different premium than my next-door neighbor because of a difference in pad heights which creates a different flood zone designation.

The fact is that if there is a hurricane and you are flooded, your normal insurance will not reimburse for the flood damage -- only your flood insurance pays for that, regardless of what happened to your neighbors. Most mortgage holders will require that the homeowner carry flood insurance at certain levels of flood zones. For most in Florida, even on the Highlands Ridge, it's a good idea. Regards -- JimR

Reply to
JimR

Flood insurance is a federal liability.

Reply to
Goedjn

And the Feds will only cover a maximum of 250K for the house and 100K contents at a current price of $317 per year.

Reply to
jerryl

You're not limited to the $250K, though. You can buy additional flood insurance, over and above the federal insurance up to your required limits, from commercial sources. My insurance company recently sent me information on how to purchase the additional flood insurance. Regards --

Reply to
JimR

How's about sharing which companies will write above the 250K and the premiums?

Reply to
jerryl

I wish I could -- I threw away the information I received, which was from my insurance company but gave me the name of the commercial flood insurance source. If I get anything I'll post it -- Regards --

Reply to
JimR

Thanks because I called my broker and he never heard of such coverage. Can you give me the name of your insurance company and I'll ask them direct?

Reply to
jerryl

Here's a quote from FloodSmart.gov (the official site of the federal flood insurance program):

Here's how "flood" is defined by the National Flood Insurance Program: "A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder's property) from:

  • Overflow of inland or tidal waters; or * Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; or * Mudflow; or * Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above."

Here's another quote from the FAQ's at the above web site:

Does the NFIP cover flood damage caused by hurricanes, rivers or tidal waters? Yes, providing that at least two adjacent properties in the area (or two acres) are flooded.

Bottom line: You won't get any payout from flood insurance unless the conditions mentioned above are met.

Jean

Reply to
Jean

[snip]
[snip]

Jean -- the info from your agent may be out-of-date or incorrect. First of all, the "two adjacent properties" or two acres meant just that -- two properties, so that would have meant your property and one other abutting it. Secondly, the "adjacent" has been removed from the insurance contract, so now the only requirement for a flood is that it cover at least two acres or two properties, not necessarily adjacent to each other. The Floodsmart FAQ is out-of-date on that item. This information was confirmed by my flood coverage carrier. -- Regards, JimR

Reply to
JimR
[snip>>> How's about sharing which companies will write above the 250K and the
[snip]

For those who obtained federal flood insurance thru USAA, additional flood insurance over and above the federal program's $250K limit is available from Southwest Business Corporation, who can be reached at 866-387-9736. I haven't used it and don't know if other carriers have made the same arrangement. Regards -- JimR

Reply to
JimR