How to select a _good_ "FRONT DOOR"

We are going to replace our ugly front door with something pretty. We basicaly want a "double door". My issue is that I do not know what is better, wood vs. fiberglass vs. perhaps a metal door?

We are in Northern IL, if climate is an issue.

I want something that would last a long time.

Any suggestions as to selection of material would be appreciated.

Ignoramus27098

Phisherman

It faces south, there are some large trees, but I would assume 10 hours a day in summer. (conservatively)

Yes, we want little fancy windows, and yes, rain could reach the door.

Ignoramus27098

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 04:55:18 GMT, Ignoramus27098 wrote: Personally I really like mahogany doors (these are expensive), but sunny/wet locations create a maintenance issue here. A metal or fiberglass door makes more sense because it won't warp like a wooden door might. I've seen some nice leaded window inserts for metal doors. With a metal door you can paint it your favorite color.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's not an easy issue. I bought double doors made of wood (oak) with a lot of glass. They cost $5500 five years ago. I face south, but there is a roof over them so they get no rain or exposed sun. There is a slight bit of warpage. I wish the movable door (both move, but there are top and bottom bolts on one) were secured top and bottom instead of just the middle like our French doors by Andersen. They would close tighter. I might be able to fix that with different hardware, but the Baldwin mortised hardware that they used cost a bloody fortune as it is.

I originally asked about fiberglass doors. As it turns out, they are easier to finish, but they contain wood and therefore are NOT warranted against warpage. Same was true of the so-called "metal" doors. Really nice wood doors are upwards of $25,000. You can build a small house for the cost of some of them.

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport