How to select carpet and installer

Looking for advice on selecting carpet and installer

We found a carpet we like...it is a style by Sutton (I believe Shaw is the parent Co.). The question is how do we know if this is a good / durable carpet...what do we look for?

I have talked to 2 stores who carry it and both recommend a 6lb padding...The 1st says not to go higher, the 2nd says we could upgrade to

8lb.

As far as installation and price... The 1st has it priced at $33/sq. yd installed...the 2nd at $28...both stores are within the same local area....why such a diverse pricing??

The 1st store is Carpet One and the 2nd is Floor Expo (Not Home Depot)....Anyone ever deal with these guys?

Reply to
dbf

I work for Shaw, but I do not speak for my employer...

That said:

When I buy carpet, I look for Nylon fiber (I don't care if it is Nylon 6 or

6.6), filiament yarn (i.e. continuous fibers in the yarn, not spun yarn), and a dense piece of carpet. By density, I mean something with a tightly tufted pile. Density is what gives carpet wearability. Branded vs non-branded fiber is not usually a performance issue. Branding generally gets you a better guarantee.

I won't address the pad issue - there are too many products out there. Sometimes the weight means something, sometimes it doesn't mean much.

As far as pricing - it varies between stores and geographically. Prices in the Southeast are far less than elsewhere, because so much carpet is made in NW Georgia.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I heard that the common carpet installation scam is to overestimate the amount of carpet needed. I think, but am not sure, that you need 10% more carpet than area of layout. Some overstimate the layout, others overestimate the extra needed.

Good luck. Greg

Reply to
GBannish