How to remove transparent stain from my deck surface

Hi there, This question might be asked so many times in this group. I stained my newly made (cedar) deck with transparent stain. The result is not what I wanted. So I like to remove the stain and start from the scratch. How can I remove the stain? Sanding is good or I have to use the chemicals? My stain has been on my deck for about three weeks, and still I can see soft spots, wrinkle. Some areas can be peeled off easily. When I applied the stain, weather was humid and rainy.

thanks

Reply to
FardinA

Chemicals are best, sanding will have to be deep and fasteners will have to be countersunk so the plating is not removed. Why not touch it up and just go over it with a different color. Transparent stains wear away in

1-4 yrs , perhaps testing a scrap board with present color and a second coat of a different color will achieve what is acceptable. You dont say what you do not like, ex ,to red, a greener top coat can neutralise the red . Go to a real paint store for color advise, not box stores.
Reply to
m Ransley

How can I remove the stain? Sanding is good or I

Next time apply stain when it is dry, really dry, outside. Also, stain usually has linseed oil in it, and you have to carefully wipe the surface dry after letting the coat set for an hour or so, otherwise you get the soft wrinkly areas, as the oil dries on surface, where it remains gummy. Agree with advice to use paint remover. You could also just use the remover in problem areas, then re-stain, using semi transparent stain and then wiping off, or going to a solid stain - more like exterior house paint, in looks - once the surface is free of gummy areas.

Reply to
Roger