how to remove the satin on my deck (sanding, paint remover, or ...)?

Hi there, I stained my cedar deck last year awefully. Now I like to remove the stain (brand name: Sikken) and re-stain the deck board. Since my deck is very close to my lawn, I do not want to harm my grass if I use the paint remover. I know that sanding the board is the best choise to save the grass but it require a lot of man power and time. I like to have your opinion on what would be the best way to clean my deck stains (sanding, paint removal, or ...). Is there any safe paint remover in the market or at least something that won't run off to my garden?

thanks

Reply to
FA

Bin there and done that.

Sikkens is a real PITA to apply and maintain, especially if the deck = faces South like mine.

  1. Go to your local HD and get some eco-friendly stripper (the stuff I = got smelled like oranges)

  1. Spread it liberally over the deck and let it bubble until it stops. = (I kept re-wetting it till additional water had no effect)

  2. Remove the mess with a power washer (be careful not to get any on the = house)

  1. When you get to the point the stain will not come off (some of it = will be more stubborn than the rest), use a belt sander and 80 grit to = carefully remove the tuff stuff.

  1. When all the deck is done to your satisfaction, go over it once more = with ~200 grit to smooth off all the nubs that the pressure washer = caused.

  1. If you want the deck to look dry like it does wet, find a = preservative that soaks into the wood. (There is no stain that will stay = for any length of time).

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ