How to remove a tire from a wood chipper?

Hi, I borrowed a small gas powered wood chipper from a neighbor. The valve stem on one of the wheels cracked off and the tire went flat. I ordered the same exact wheel (10" hand truck wheel by Arnold Parts). I'm kinda confused because it's not super-apparent (to me) how to remove the existing wheel.

Photos here:

Your advice appreciated. Regards, Theodore.

Reply to
milli...

Cut the push nut off. They're a one-shot deal and a hardware store should have a replacement.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't necessarily know the 'right way' to remove that kind of retaining clip, (6th photo), but what I do is simply destroy it with the idea that I'm going to replace it with a new clip during reassembly.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Ok, thanks for responses. I'm used to cotter pins through the shaft, not these retaining clips/push nuts. So, I just measure the diameter of the shaft and go to hardware store asking for a "push nut" of that size?

Reply to
milli...

if not available locally, you can on-line order here

Package quantities do vary from 5 to 100, depending on size and material.

Reply to
Anonymous

Yes. Around here I'd go to Tractor Supply or Murdoch's Ranch but Ace Hardware should have them in the aisle with the slide out boxes for onesie-twosie odd hardware.

Theoretically you can get them off but I've never had much luck except for the real small ones.

Reply to
rbowman

I thought someone fed a tire into the wood chipper.

Maybe to make shredded rubber for a highway.

You never know what someone will do.

Reply to
micky

Haha!... you're 100% right. And I even TRIED to be clear and still ended up with a double-meaning/ridiculous title.

Reply to
milli...

That's better than having a human femur jammed in a chipper. That takes some 'splaining.

Reply to
rbowman

Just ask the CT state police. Not a good idea to put your wife through the chipper, you go to jail.

the snow and sifting the soil, detectives found 2,660 hairs, one fingernail, one toe nail, two teeth, one tooth cap and five droplets of blood. From this microscopic evidence, doctors were able to prove that Richard Crafts had disposed of his wife?s body with a wood chipper near the river. The most important evidence was that the tooth cap matched Helle?s dental records.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ND

Reply to
Thomas

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 21:28:06 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Sopranos? There was a case in Connecticut where the body was disposed of in this manner...

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 23:54:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Sorry Ed, hadn't read this for when I made my post. Chop chop...

Reply to
Tekkie©

When Tony got rid of Big Pussy he did it the old fashioned way, concrete blocks, chain and deep water. Far less evidence you have to hide.

Reply to
gfretwell

In the movie "Fargo", the character played by Steve Buscemi is run thru a chipper by the character played by Peter Stormare.

Peter is shown pushing Steve's foot and shin into the chipper when the lady cop stops him.

Anonymous

I was thinking 'Fargo'. The movie, not the spinoff.

rbowman