How to remove glue? Marine Goop

I use a product Plumber Goop (and Marine Goop), they are VERY STRONG.. way TOO STRONG. Now I want to remove it, anyone knows how?

Is it silicon based? will silicon remover work?

NB

Reply to
No Spam

I don't think it is related to RTV silastic so removers designed for RTV would probably have little effect.

Depending on what it was applied to, scraping or cutting it off are possibly the best method. A solventrelated to perchloroethylene is the solvent used but is not easily available. Dry cleaing solvents are similar and might attack it but again they are difficult to come by. Carbona Spot Remover used to contain real dry cleaning type solvents but it has been reformulated to eliminate the "good stuff". The usual suspects acetone and MEK have little effect. UV will attack it but this solution would take some time.

Regards,

John

Reply to
JTM

Someone else will have to tell you how to chemically dissolve it. I would first try to remove as much as possible mechanically, say with a knife or razor blade. If you can pry an edge up you might grab it with pliers and pull a big chunck off. I suspect it would soften lots with a heat gun or hair dryer.

Reply to
Tomcat14

try calling the 800 number on the back and ask the manufacturer?

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

I emailed the Goop manufacter, here is their answer (see below). I will try to buy some acetone from homedepot tonight to see if it works....

----- Original Message ----- From: 35 Day Farrald Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 2:41 PM Subject: RE: Goop removal product

Many solvents will help dissolve Goop. Acetone or Toluene or Naphtha would be good choices.

Thanks.

Day Farrald

Eclectic Products

-----Original Message----- Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 7:20 AM Subject: Goop removal product

I have been using Goop for many years, I love this product. The Goop is very strong, sometimes I feel that it is WAY TOO STRONG!! Recently I am facing a problem, I sticked something to my boat and now I want to remove it. but it is very difficult as I don't want to use razor blade to damage the surface. I asked people on the Internet they told me to use a dry clean chemical called "trichloroethylene" but I can't find it in local hardware store.

I think Goop company should consider having a new product for called "Goop removal".. just some suggestions.

Reply to
No Spam

I just bought a can of Acetone, it works!!!!!!!!! I can remove the Goop now!! it's perfect!

Reply to
No Spam

It just goes to show, there are few problems that cannot be solved by:

1) a bigger hammer 2) heinous chemicals and if that fails 3) Brute force and ignorance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Or in your case, Bob on it.

Reply to
Moparholic

Acetone is hardly a "heinous chemical". It is produced in the bodies of diabetics, and is used topically in medicine. Note than he didn't buy a can of methyl ethyl ketone, for instance.

Reply to
donald girod