How to protect and use my new EPDM roof?

I have a porch floor /roof that has just been professionally covered with EPDM. I am looking for the best way to protect it from wear, etc., without damaging it in the process. Would it be practical to install linoleum or other "sheet goods" on part of it? Does anyone know about industrial mats that are sometimes used for walkways on EPDM? We have talked about a "floating deck, but the roofer advises it would gather dirt and trash underneath and would need to be removable for cleaning and repairs.

This area is itself covered and protected by a roof overhead.

Suggestions? Experiences? Horror stories?

Reply to
Bob F

If we knew what EPDM is, that would help..... Linoleum on a roof????? I think you should quit drinking so heavily !!!!

---------

Reply to
maradcliff

EPDM (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) single-ply rubber roofing membrane has been an appealing choice of the low-slope commercial roofing industry for over 40 years.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

I'm working on a similar problem right now. Try checking out

for an aluminum decking that is a decking material that claims to serve as a roof with a lifetime warranty. Let me know what you decide to do. Linoleum doesn't sound like a good solution.

Bob F wrote:

Reply to
Alan

besides setting down sleepers and putting decking over it, the other option I have heard of is to glue down outdoor carpeting on it. epdm is quite durable.

Reply to
marson

True linoleum

could probably handle the weather because of how its made but vinyl sheet goods (what you most likely are refering to) usually has some sort of paper like or felt like backing that could absorb water.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Hadn't thought about the water absorbing backing... I am also worried about being able to cement it down without compromising the EDPM. I am beginning to think a removable deck is the way to go. Thanks for your helpful advice.

This new roof came about because the roof above leaked AND the floor/roof became compromised due to wet leavesand pine straw collecting on the old surface, especially around support posts. My hope is that I have eliminated two problems and can count on two layers of protection- but I still would like to use the area as a regular porch. Any further thoughts much appreciated.

Cliff Hartle wrote:

Reply to
Bob F

First you need to know what EPDM is. It is Ethylene Proylene Diene Monomer. It is not vinyl it is a rubber product. And it consists of one layer. In fact many if not most travel trailers have such a roof, but it is also used on flat roofs. You should not walk directly on it. If you want a deck, then suspend the deck above the EPDM, don't lay it on it.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon