How to open a B&D work bench?

It can't be as bad a design as I think it is. I lift it up vertically or just a bit more, slap down the back feet and lift up the front feet. Then I do a bit of painful gymnastics to get it onto all fours, spread-eagle myself onto the two front feet, and raise the SOB, which is nigh on impossible with a vice bolted down to the top.

Tips welcome.

Reply to
dean

It can be a challenge. I wedge the bottom between my feet, release the catches, and pull up. Never tried it with a vice on it...

Reply to
Toller

regift it.

Reply to
buffalobill

I assume you're talking about a Workmate from your description. I'd imagine that vise is what's killing you. Why not have the vise mounted to a removable board? The vise board could be clamped by the Workmate or you could have a couple of other clamps hold it down.

However you do it, it's a process and one on an awkward object. No magic here.

RicodJour

"dean" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

If you are referring to the B&D Workmate;

Why not raise it up first,then flip out the feet? It's designed to be used with feet out or not out. Just rock it back to flip out the front feet,then rock it forward to flip out the rear feet.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks all, I'll try that Jim, I didn't know it was also meant to be used that way.

Problem is holding down the bottom part when lifting up the top. I thought I was missing something.

-Dean

Reply to
dean

The Workmate story is a great one. Innovator beating the odds and the big boys at their own game.

The inventor worked on portable workbenches for his own use and used the services of his aircraft parts factory for casting the pieces. Magnesium alloys - nothing like the stamped steel things we buy today. He shopped it around to the big tool houses, no takers. Black & Decker refused buying the rights for $50K saying that it was a clever thing but not much of a market. The inventor then proceeded to manufacture and sell it on his own. A million or so sales later, B&D game back with hat in hand asking if they could get in on it. The inventor bought his own island with the royalties.

RicodJour

"dean" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

When I pull on the latch,mine just drops down by gravity. Maybe yours needs a lube job

Reply to
Jim Yanik