Wall switch with 0%-10%-100% only?

I'd like a wall switch that only has three settings: 0%, 10%, and 100%. It would be used for a bathroom. Of course any dimming switch could be used, but it would be more convenient to just have the settings needed.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

If you want to spend piles of money, Lutron has a series of dimmers that you can program "scenes" any way you like

Reply to
RBM

This would be easy with an Insteon dimmer switch. Pressing the top of the switch once lights the bulb at dim level, pressing the top again makes it full bright and pressing the bottom turns it off. You may be able to use the new Icon switch.

Reply to
Manny Bhuta

You could get close by putting a diode (be sure to consider voltage and current here) across a switch. "on" would give you full brightness, "off" for low.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

...or UPB switch, or high-end X-10 switch (e.g. PCS, SwitchLinc) with "preset dim" option.

Maybe... the double-tap for full ON feature is not mentioned in the ICON manual though. Also there's a limit of 300 watts with that switch.

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

There are plenty of dimmers with on/off while the dim setting remains the same.

mm

How does that help me? You mean there is an full on in addition to the preset dim on? An example? All I've seen is the on goes to the preset dim on.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Remember this is a bathroom. 300 watts is more than enough.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

With the Insteon and Icon SwitchLincs, you can program a preset dim on-level (no computer required). Tap the top of the switch, and it goes to that level. Tap the top again, and it goes to full on. This would seem to meet your requirements, and you can do it with a $20 Icon (and Real Soon Now, you can buy the Icon at your local Home Depot).

- Dennis Brothers

Reply to
Dennis Brothers

If you want it full on you turn the knob all the way to the right.

If you want it at the same level of dimness as the last time, you just push the knob and you don't twist it.

This has the advantage that you can change the preset for next time in less than a second.

That's what I do with my dining room chandelier and it works fine.

Some dimmers require going all the way to zero before you can turn the light off, but many others don't.

Since this list moves so fast, II would have emailed you a copy, but you're making it too much work. Other people here hide their email address in a way that it is not too much trouble to find.

mm

I just use 2 separate lights on different switches; on-off for the night light and on-off for the main light. Works great, you never turn the main light on accidentally.

Reply to
Nick Hull

How about a SPDT center-off switch? Can you get those for standard switch boxes?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This will NOT work with Icon switches. I have confirmed this with Smarthome.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

Mark, It WILL work on ICON switches. Whoever you spoke to at Smarthome fed you some bad info. I installed an ICON dimmer yesterday and it has both local and remote preset dim and tapping the top half will bring it to full bright. See details on pages 18 & 24 of this ICON manual:

You can also program a different preset dim from each controller that it's linked to.

From:Mark Thomas snipped-for-privacy@thomaszone.com

Reply to
BruceR

Are you sure you're not mistaken? The documentation only states that pressing the top of the paddle sets the light to the local ON level. It says to "press and hold" the paddle top to brighten from there.

Here's a test you can perform:

  1. Set the Local ON level to 10% or so via the instructions on page 18 (heed the 4-minute wait).
  2. Turn the light off.
  3. Tap the top. The light should turn on at 10%
  4. Tap the top again. What happens?
Reply to
Mark Thomas