How to get AGITATOR out of Maytag washer?

My dryer, she was busted but I found out what was wrong. I cleaned the lint out of the vent - now drying isn't long.

But now, (can you believe it?) my washer has joined the fun she does a little dance, you see before the spin cycle is done.

I'm getting tired of this, I'll tell ya where everything is broke all I want to do it is be like normal folk.

here's my problem...

I'm the guy who had dryer problem last week... now, the washer is jumping all over the washroom, and it's never had that problem before. I have leveled it (with a level), and it still seems to get the "beat the floor to death" deal going on every load. It shakes a *little* even when there's no clothes in it. I know that may be normal... anyway, I'm down to thinking maybe a sock might be caught under the agitator... can't think of anything else that would do this... So, I took the top fabric softner despenser out, and found a lot of gunk that needed cleaning off... I'm doing that now... But, looking down in the middle, I don't see any nut or anything holding the agitator on. I've just pulled straight up hoping it would pop out, but no joy. Maybe I'm not pulling hard enought, but I wanted to find out here if there's any trick before I put my weight behind it (and end up buying a new one ). Any suggestions about...

1) what could be causing *every* load to walk over the floor 2) how to get the agitator out

Thanks for everyone's help!

Reply to
Steve Henderson

Hi,

Model#?.....approx age?

model# helps.

*Some8 possible trouble makers:

- weak floor

- legs out too far or not locked in place with the locking nut

- draining is too slow

- damper pads worn

- weak suspension springs

Depends on the model/style....but a couple are here...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I had a washer years ago that danced occasionally and that graduall grew more frequent & energetic. I found some losse bolts IIRC near the bottom on both sides, and after tightening them the washer quieted down and stopped moving.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Not sure what IIRC means... ?? My Maytag is a model A-180. Thanks for any help. It is still in good shape otherwise, and even though it appears to be 22 years old (I have a sticker on it that said I installed it in 1981) I really don't want to have to replace it unless absolutely necessary.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

It's a Model A-180 - looks to be 22 years old, but in fine shape other than this tendency to want to boune around.

Foor is fine.

Could be, but that hasn't changed over the years.

Draining seems fine.

Not sure where those damper pads are. Does the top "pop" off of this washer like most dryers? Don't see any screws holding it.

Where are they?

my agitator has neither a nut holding it on in the center, or a screw on the side, like the two Maytags shown in your link. Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks foor your help, Jeff.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Henderson

The agitator should have no set screw and comes off by yanking straight up....but if it has not been off before the agitator and shaft may be married together!!

Weak or bouncy floor is very common!

If the locking nuts where loose the legs can shift/move on thier own.

Should drain a full load in approx 90 seconds.

On the base, the whole inner/tub assy sits on the damper pads.

Nope....

Between the outer tank braces and base.

Many techs carry an agi-tamer tool to help remove stuck on agitators...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Wow, Jeff... that's a lot of good info.. I printed it all out, and will go do battle soon. Thanks for all your help!

Steve Henderson

Reply to
Steve Henderson